• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"Overdrive Off" switch?

UltimateG

NAXJA Forum User
So, I'd love to have a switch on the dash that disables 4th gear in my Jeep. Has anyone put one of these together? Is it possible to create one for a '94 aw4?

UltimateG said:
So, I'd love to have a switch on the dash that disables 4th gear in my Jeep. Has anyone put one of these together? Is it possible to create one for a '94 aw4?

Wow ! For real? You have to be shitting us !

Looks as though he needs to get his computer fixed as it's throwing ID10T errors :D

Just kiddng j/k Check out 3rd gear, that's what is there for.That would be the #3 on your shifter.

Here's how you get there.

1)Push the button on the left side of the shifter with your Thumb (*" while curling your hand over the "T" handle.
2)Pull the shifter one notch back from "D" untill the indicator lines up with "3".

* Note: On some newer models, you will need to dissengage the knob lock by touching the brake first.

Questions you wish you'd never asked. ;)

what would be nice is if there was a way to some how change the 1st position to just 1st, 3rd to 2nd gear, and add an O/D off/on toggle for use in Drive.

P > P
R > R
N > N
D > D (O/D Toggle)
3 > 2
12 > 1

I just think it would be a better shift arangement functionally. that 2nd gear is important too.

Last edited:
Now before we jump all over this guy, maybe we should get a clarification of what he's really trying to accomplish.

Using the shifter is pretty obvious, but it depends a little on what results you're after. Shifting to 3 gives you 1-2-3 and torque converter lockup on 2 and 3. As far as I know, it does not change the shift points, but it does change the TC lockup pattern. In "D" it locks up in 3 and 4, rather than 2 and 3. If you want to change the TC lockup characteristics, this would require some kind of switch, though the obvious thing to switch would be the lockup solenoid rather than the shifting.

So, if UltimateG has not been embarrassed into total silence, how about it? Is there some effect you're after other than what you get with a downshift?

By the way, to disable fourth with a simple switch would be very difficult. The AW4 is controlled by a pair of solenoids, which determine the gear depending on their combination. The solenoid combination for fourth is "off-off." This means that whatever switch arrangement you use would require you to switch solenoid #2 back on when the TCU wants if off for fourth. But you could not simply hard-wire it on without losing first gear. So you'd need to switch on the fly and remember to unswitch every time you come to a stop. About the only mechanical solution would be wire a relay that turns solenoid #2 on when #1 goes off, but returns control to the TCU when #1 goes back on. And of course whatever relay you use would have to have sufficient impedance and isolation that it doesn't load the solenoid circuits or feed back. In other words, fuhgeddaboudit!

langer1 said:
There is no 4th or overdrive just a full lockup converter is there?
does that make sense to anyone else?

And Matthew is right 2 posts up, also, the compression qualities change in the 3 position, providing the most compression braking in 2nd rather than in 3rd.

I'd personally like to have a switch just to disable TC lockup.

Dave

CantonXJ said:
I'd personally like to have a switch just to disable TC lockup.

Dave

I had no tc-lockup for a while due to a wiring short.

now i have a new aw4.

don't do it. :)

Matthew Currie said:
Now before we jump all over this guy, maybe we should get a clarification of what he's really trying to accomplish.

Nah, it was a dumb question ;) Probably moon related, there have been an awful lot of dumb questions floating around work lately also ;)

Using the shifter is pretty obvious, but it depends a little on what results you're after.

Don't over think this one. How one selects gears electronicly, modifies the TCM, or manually selects the TC is beyond the scope of this OEM forum.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot, ya bunch of wisea$$es! :D

Yes, you received my question correct. I’m such a fat, lazy bastard that I don’t like taking my hand all the way off of the wheel and reaching the entire 8 inches away to yank the shifter back into 3rd.

No, seriously. I didn’t realize just how much of a workout that really is until I drove my buddies Grand Cherokee yesterday. I discovered his WJ has a fancy little button by the steering wheel marked “o/d off”, and now I want one too. I live in the mountains, and drive steep, twisty passes to work every day. I really do appreciate the ability to switch to third gear without moving my hand from the steering wheel and taking my eyes off the road.

The funny story behind my learning about this button is that yesterday we were doing 60 mph and approaching a steep hill. Thinking his jeep was just like my xj, I grabbed the shifter and yanked it back. - after he bounced his head off the dashboard, he explained to me that I had just put it into second gear, and then pointed out that fancy little button to me.

I just assumed it would be easy, and all I’d need to do was wire a cutoff into a solenoid somewhere. Guess not, bummer.

[FONT=&quot]Cheers.[/FONT]

And if your on the freeway doing 70 and get passed by a ricer .... the "R" is for race.
icon12.gif

ok if I read right, if you leave it in 3'rd the torque converter will still lockup.
I have actually tried this, and as far as I can tell it does no(at least on my XJ).
Am I doing something wrong?

And why is it so bad that the TC needs to lock?

jeepdude10000 said:
Bigotry is having one two many wife’s, and monogamy is the same!

(1) "Bigamy", not "Bigotry"

(2) "wives", not "wife's".

Back