• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fan Problems??

xj mimi

NAXJA Forum User
Since my last wheeling trip (where i definetly got some mud under the hood) my fan has been making some really funny sounds..
i know its not the belt driven fan, cause it only happens when my engine gets really hot and i'm stopped, like at a red light.
i can hear the electric fan kick on, but its really loud, and there's a vibration that comes with it.
when i turn off the engine, the sound continues for a couple seconds, like the fan is slowing to a stop..
anybody had this problem before?
looking for some input before i just start chasing the sound under the hood...
thanks!

Mimi

Last edited:
It sounds like during the course of your last trtip it got slammed around a bit under the hood, and it might have jumped up out of the slots that hold it in on the bottom, and it is rubbing a bit on the radiator when it spins..
You should lie under it while its running and have a look.

I have pushed the Transmission cooling lines up into the fan on occasion, but It was pretty loud and I knew instantly.

at best my fan has been modified by a rock. thus its somewhat modified.

*noob*
i'm so ashamed
please post any replies on the thread i started in the OEM tech forum.
sorry again for my newbie-retardedness

Last edited:
xj mimi said:
at best my fan has been modified by a rock. thus its somewhat modified.

*noob*
i'm so ashamed
please post any replies on the thread i started in the OEM tech forum.
sorry again for my newbie-retardedness

Don't apologise.. There is a lot of "I'm smarter than you" snobbishness going on on these forums. Remember that everybody began at some point and that even though some problems come up commonly, they are new to you, and you should always be able to ask.

Brian Carpenter said:
Don't apologise.. There is a lot of "I'm smarter than you" snobbishness going on on these forums. Remember that everybody began at some point and that even though some problems come up commonly, they are new to you, and you should always be able to ask.
What an Asshat ! Snobbish ? Yeah thats me ain't it ? Any one who knows me knows I'm a Smart ass to the bone, a bit of a dick sometimes. Snobbish, Ha !
I was just pointing out it was the modified forum. That way when he is on here for awhile he will know where to go to get the right info. Read the forum rules before you spout off.
How do you learn if it isn't pointed out to you ? I have had it pointed out to me plenty of times and for good reason. So I learn.
:passgas:

thanks but he is a SHE.
anyway thanks to both of you. i wasn't offended at all when i was told i was on the wrong forum.
and also yes i know i'm gonna run into some not-so great people.
thats why i'm on this forum instead of some others it happens in every hobby.
thanks to both of you for your help!

Back