• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What gears? (Beating a dead horse, but I can't find it searching)

feerocknok

NAXJA Forum User
'84 Cherokee with the 2.5L and a stick. There's no tag on the diff.

The Jeep's at the U-Pull-It, 25 miles away, and I need a front axle. I stopped by to look around and saw the Jeep but had no tools and a job interview 1/2 hour later, so didn't get dirty to check.

They make a claim that 4 bangers had 4:10 if manual or 4:56 and that is basically true after AMC got out of the way. I ve got 87 TBI 4 banger Manual in back yard with 3.55. So good luck in it having what you want.

Now, the good news. There should be a Bill of Material number stated in axle housing. Check dana spicers site to see what I am talking about. You ll need a bright light, good eyes, a wire brush, and solvent to find and read it. You can get a instant feed back on what should be in the axle from dana once you have that number. Also, Amc tended to tag the front axle more often then both or rear with gear info, so make sure you check the front and it say in bottom right corner if you holding the tag out in front of you. I suspect you not gonna find any short gears in 84 but more toward the middle like 3.55s

Good luck
Alabama Bill

If its blocked up, just turn the tire/wheel hub one revoulution and count the revolution of the front driveshaft/yoke. if its 3.55, the yoke will turn 3.5 times to one tire rotation, 4 rotations to 4.10 etc

The axle tag if it is still there will be stamped with the gear ratio. If not, pull the diff cover and read what is stamped on the ring gear or count the number of teeth on the ring gear and pinion gear. You divide the big number by the smaller and that's your gear ratio. 3.54/3.55 is stamped 46 13 and 4.10 is stamped 41 10 on the ring gear.

lawsoncl said:
Should be 4.10 or maybe 4.56. Grab both axles and you have a cheap regear.

Try these sites:
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Dana_BOM_numbers.html
http://www2.dana.com/expert/wc.dll?DSD~deabill~4~

Depends on engine transmission AND type of CV joint in 84, primarily only those 4 bangers with the more expensive cardan cv joint had 4.10's and 4.56's and the lesser expensive dana type joint had tall gears, none more then 3.73 and most 3.55 and 3.31. This formula was used during the early AMC years, but not sure if was a rule. I did only the reasearch on mine to find out Why it did not have 4.10's. Lots of tall gears in early AMC 4 bangers guys so be careful and do the research.

From years of experience, 4.56's are VERY rare. 3.73 is the most common around here, but I have seen lower and higher. Without pulling the cover or finding the tag, you are playing the lottery.

Back