• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WF wrench fest

seanR

Want to puff on my pipe?
NAXJA Member
I took my smashed up grille of the junk this AM.
I tried to rewire new lights to the front.....
I have given up after 4 hours.
One minute, the brown wire is hot, the next the red wire is hot and not the brown, now neither one is hot...
The running lights work, now they don't, the right rear tail light works, now it won't....
So I have no lights, if any of you have ever rewired the front end, I will supply beer and butt splices........

First thing, above all, make sure you have a good ground back to the battery. I messed with a YJ for two weekends only to find out the chassis was not grounded.

Les

you better bring a fawking jeep this year...

OT's seat never shrunk back to normal size once you poped out of it! :D :D

between rev and I we'll get it wired up.
Have you checked the connector behind the drivers side light that's for the front wiring harness? Mine was nasty with mud and such and was doing odd things with my junk.

Remember the prob's with my wife's '01 at WF '05? Check the ground screw on the driver side fender, it is hidden under the big wiring harness. I replaced it with a nut & bolt, no problems since.

IntrepidXJ said:
looks like i might have some wrenching to do when i get there before i can wheel.....otherwise i may have to find a right seat.

....just no time....

no worries Randy! i can wrench while you drive! :D

Rev Den said:
... But I agree....grounding makes sense.

Rev

Checking for a good ground should be the first thing to do on a vehicle when troubleshooting an electrical problem... it's easy.

Les

I'd be happy to give a hand to whoever. :clap:
We should roll in Thrusday afternoon.

Hale

seanR said:
I took my smashed up grille of the junk this AM.
I tried to rewire new lights to the front.....
I have given up after 4 hours.
One minute, the brown wire is hot, the next the red wire is hot and not the brown, now neither one is hot...
The running lights work, now they don't, the right rear tail light works, now it won't....
So I have no lights, if any of you have ever rewired the front end, I will supply beer and butt splices........

Cmon, you dont need lights!

I've got a few odd, and ends that need done. Lights to go on the rack (wiring is there), sway bar discos (will put them on when I pull the nons), I need to do some triming to my flairs, but it's not a big deal. Really wanted to move my CB antenna, but it'll have to wait.

These electrical gremlins must be contagious. When I left work last night, all of my dash lights no longer workey.

Haleyes said:
These electrical gremlins must be contagious. When I left work last night, all of my dash lights no longer workey.
check that your parking lights are working as well. When that happened to me all of my parking/tail lights went out.

87manche said:
check that your parking lights are working as well. When that happened to me all of my parking/tail lights went out.
Parking lights work.
Gonna check the 5amp fuse on my dinner break tonight. There's more tot the story, I'm just not in the mood to type it all out. I think the fuse will take care of it.

Haleyes said:
Parking lights work.
Gonna check the 5amp fuse on my dinner break tonight. There's more tot the story, I'm just not in the mood to type it all out. I think the fuse will take care of it.

Well after a slightly elongated lunch break I found the following:
1 blown 5 amp fuse and some wires that looked just fine.
I relocated/re-routed the wires, put some tape on them, replaced the fuse and all is well........so far. Time will tell.

Hale

Back