• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Door Lock Changing?

OLAF

NAXJA Forum User
Hello Friends, An Evil person tried to open my 88 laredo whith a screw driver in the lock on the pilots side. the lock is broken now and I have to buy new ones. I can get the set of locks from a old chevrolet pickup truck whith the keys for free. will these locks fit my jeep? they look equal from the exterior. I have not disassembled the door yet. thankyou.

I had to do this repair on my XJ when I got it, as, while the previous owner had it, someone broke in and stole the stereo. They didn't damage the lock cylinder, but it was floating loose in the door, though still hooked to its lever, the door sheet metal around the hole was bunged up a bit, and the clip that holds the cylinder in place inside the door was broken. I priced a replacement cylinder at the dealer, about $17, does not come with shims or keys or clip. Locksmiths have shims to fit. Instead, I got the clip, opened up the door panel, pulled the cylinder, graphited it good, got it working smoothly, straightened out the sheel metal, and put the whole thing back together, not pretty, but it works like new.

Are you sure the cylinder itself is damaged? Is the casting broken? If so, check for a dealer price. If you want to replace it all, make sure you get everything. If you have to, you can pull the panel on the passenger side to see what you need. You'll have to take a new cylinder to the locksmith to have it keyed to your key. You might find one at a wrecking yard too, but I'd just get a new one, it ain't that much money. The locksmith will probably charge about $10 or so.

This is one of those little things where it's just better to do it right. Makes life easier.

Yes the cilinder is broken, and the lock need to be changed, the jeep is imported so I have to find the same equivalent to the lock. would this lock be similar to the AMC (american motors) door lock? I live in mexico that is why it is a little bit dificult. greetings to all, thank you. Olaf K.

Back