• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to stow all the equipment?

Metal Thrasher

NAXJA Forum User
Okay I have spent the evenings this week accumulating all the equipment to go wheeling with confidence... Now how do I stow it?
At this point I'll have to carry the spare inside. Along with a box full of chains, jumper cables and misc. tools the back is full to the level of the rear seat back...... The spare parts and survival supplies are sitting in the garage waiting to be shoved in someplace....

Any body have suggestions? Also what have you added for tie down points inside to limit airborne objects?

I put all my little stuff in military ammo cans. (Get 'em on e-bay).

As for the big stuff, it all gets ratchet strapped down. Except for my spare axleshafts. I still haven't found a place for those. They just ride behind the seats.

Tracey,
This weekend you will have the oportunity to see at least a half dozen different ways of packing the back of the XJ (some good, some not so good). Take a look at all of them and take what ever notes you want. This should give you a good idea of how you want to do it for your situation.

For this weekend, just plan on throwing what ever you think you need in. Since you wont have the wife and kid you should have plenty of room.

Michael

Metal Thrasher said:
Okay I have spent the evenings this week accumulating all the equipment to go wheeling with confidence... Now how do I stow it?
At this point I'll have to carry the spare inside. Along with a box full of chains, jumper cables and misc. tools the back is full to the level of the rear seat back...... The spare parts and survival supplies are sitting in the garage waiting to be shoved in someplace....

Any body have suggestions? Also what have you added for tie down points inside to limit airborne objects?

Metal Thrasher said:

Go deeper into the corners of your rear cargo area and run a hole through the floor and add eyebolts. I seal mine with some RTV around the threads and they don't leak. This will allow you to tie stuff down with confidence.

I've also added carabiners through the seatbelt loop where it bolts to the floor under the rear seat. This gives you a fairly strong tie down point on each side of the back seat. This is fairly convenient when running with the rear seat folded down.

The front of the rear seat sits on a steel base several inches high where your jack is stored. Ive got a series of eyebolts coming out of that pointing toward the front that allows for tying down things that are sitting with the seat folded down. Along the front of the rear seat is a good place to stow the Hi-Lift jack. It doesn't seem to get in the way here.

Wrapping your spare axleshafts in foam pipe insulation keeps them quiet and easier to tie down across your floor.

A few thoughts for what it's worth. You'll change your setup after trip for the foreseeable future. You learn what things are important, what you'll never need to get out and then modify accordingly. For me, it's kind of fun.

If you'd like, I can give you a detailed write-up to understand the subtle nuance and coordination to my system:

1158266455.jpg

-----Matt-----

Stay away from him.....if he drops anything there's a good chance 10-15 rounds of various ammunition will go off.:flamemad:

Matt at first I thought that was your XJ's back end but then I noticed the Black Butte Porter and lack of shell casings..... I'm doubting you have such excellent taste in brew and I've seen the casings fall out when the tailgate is popped....
So anyways this posting wasn't meant for you as I was refering to securing the load. :laugh3:

Thank John for the excellent notes on the eyelet points (I was out at luch time picking some up and mulling over where to drill the holes).

Last edited:
My tools are put in various small bags that can be stowed easily in various places throughout the Jeep. My load plan varies based on how many passengers or the trip I'm taking. If I've got passengers, the weight gets redistributed and lashed down. Spare shafts are put in a large duffel bag leftover from Army days. That also gets lashed down behind the back seat along with the Hi-Lift. Fluids go into a container that's also lashed down in back. Pioneer tools (axe, shovel) get lashed down on the floor in the back seat.

Nothing really more to it, other than I've tried boxes before and all it did was create a headache with the space it took up. Bags smash all the air out and you have more room and something easier to tie down, IMHO.

IXNAYXJ said:
1158266455.jpg

-----Matt-----

Are you still carrying that shortshaft you busted at TSF, or is this an old picture?

As Phil mentioned, depending on how many people you carry, your loading will vary.

I don't have small kids or anyone that would use the back seat so I took it out, made a floor and added a truckbox. I can carry all my recovery gear on top, lesser used things on the bottom like my rear axle shafts, front short side shaft and my spare driveshaft. I've got a shovel, power inverter, rope, you name it. I can still get to the area under the box and when I really need space, I can strap a small rack on top of the spare tire that is mounted to the floor. Other spares go in the bag behind the driver and tools are behind the passenger. These get tied down once every is loaded.

What I like is that the majority of the weight is evenly distributed and sits low, not on a roof rack or hanging off the rear bumper.

sm1322.jpg

John90XJ said:
Stay away from him.....if he drops anything there's a good chance 10-15 rounds of various ammunition will go off.:flamemad:

haha AMEN!

I have a 33" spare in the back, a small rubbermaid filled with spare liquids, and a 6"x8"x14" toolbox in the back. I run my hi-lift across the top and rachet strap it down so nothing moves. Under the back seat I have a small shovel, prybar, tarp and whatever random crap falls down there. In the passenger front area I have a TASK FORCE tool kit from home depot. Very handy, cheap, and fits there nicely. Also, fill up on gas and you'll be fine. There's no reason to have a gas can in the back:) Unless of course you like the smell.... Also, my strap is permanently secured to my rear bumer, I just throw it over the top through my missing back window.

John90XJ said:

Been pondering this for awhile, taking out the rear seat. I really don't do the crap I used to in high school taking 4 people out wheeling with me and what not. So I really can't justify that rear bench seat anymore...

So whats that deck made out of John, sheet steel or some type of lumber product?

The other idea I've been entertaining is not using my swing out and putting the spare in the trunk, like what John's done for wieght distribution, and building a deck above it. At Walker, I saw XJCasper with a setup like what I want to do. Gives me somewhere to put stuff for camping, like the tent, clothes duffel's and other lightweight items.

It's kinda funny, we have more room in the back end than the SWB rigs, and yet we still rack our brains trying to figure out where to put everything... :D

railroadjeep said:
So whats that deck made out of John, sheet steel or some type of lumber product?

3/4" plywood with a piano hinge down the edge so it can be opened. The box is bolted down to that.

A grocery store bread tray makes a perfect rack above the spare tire. That can be ratchet strapped into place and then lighter items like tents, camp chairs, Therm-A-Rests, etc. can be strapped down.

My goal now is to keep everything inside and below the level of the windows when possible. Keeps the COG low and helps with the fuel economy.

Metal Thrasher said:

You have me build you a custom Roof rack to store the Tire/Equipment, then it frees up a ton of space, and looks cool

Blkxjkrawler said:
I dont know, I'd have to go for the .45 ammo, you must be able to defend Teh Mirror pond... you know, from zombies.
bang.gif
zombie.gif

I've played enough videogames in my time to know that 12ga > .44 > .357 > .45 for zombie repellent. :looser:

mud1059 said:
haha AMEN!
There's no reason to have a gas can in the back:) Unless of course you like the smell....

am I ever going to live that down? I mean come on I haven't even met half of you in person yet.

Back