• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My jeep is possessed! Help!

95meangreen

NAXJA Forum User
So my jeep had problems last time i went wheeling and died on a hill climb we thought it was the battery so i used another jeepers battery to get me off the mountain and to auto zone bought a yellow top and worked fined for a two days them going up hill in my driveway it dies again someone suggested putting in a new starter so i did that and now when i put the key in it tried to turn over and clicks but the battery is brand new! after i try to start it and take the key out the and the intustment panel blinks and without the key in whats going on? am i missing something here? i had the alternator check and they said it was fine i dont know what wrong what else could cause it? any suggestions?

My ZJ did that when the battery terminals were dirty.

The lights came on, and the radio worked; but when I tried to start it, everything went dead. I got out, (leaving the door open) and went to pop the hood, and then all of the lights slowly came on by themselves. But that's not the spooky part...

I stared at the Jeep for a few seconds (my first 'bad connection' experience) cursed it under my breath, and then went to hop back in; and everything dies on me again.

No word of a lie. It made me shiver and apologize to my poor girl. I called my brother and after he stopped laughing he told me to clean the terminals.

Worked like a charm.

Might not be your problem, but bad connections/grounds do weird things to Jeeps!

:eek:

Sounds like a bad ground strap &/or bad coil wire or bad/corroded battery cable. Battery cable shouldn't make your jeep die though, only cause starting problems (you can take your battery out of a jeep while it's running to get another jeep with a dead battery started/off the trail, but some people don't recommend it).

jfiscus said:
Sounds like a bad ground strap &/or bad coil wire or bad/corroded battery cable. Battery cable shouldn't make your jeep die though, only cause starting problems (you can take your battery out of a jeep while it's running to get another jeep with a dead battery started/off the trail, but some people don't recommend it).

yeah thats what we did i dunno ill check tmr

and joe matt has my last spare shaft which is urs free i need to go over there this weekend after i figure my jeep out.... hopefully ill be seeing u soon:wave:

Have the alternator checked again. The Jeep wouldn't die on the trail randomly, especially after submerging the alternator in muddy water.

Can you be more specific? Is there a starting problem or just a random dying problem? When does it die?

So far it does not sound like the battery, starter, or alternator to me.

Why would someone suggest replacing a starter when it was running and died while it was running? You post is confusing, pehaps the problems you listed are incomplete and out of order????

You need to be more specific and describe the order of the events as they happened.

There is an ignition switch on the steering column and a starter relay near the battery that can cause starter clicks (in addition to the starters internal starter solenoid) no start conditions.

Old worn ignition switches can do really weird stuff as the connections corrode, over heat, melt and then criss/cross the bulk conector wires at the switch!!!!

A bad ignition switch could cause random dying of the engine and random starting (Clicking) problems.

Back