• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lockers or posis?

ScienceguyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
So I've got a dana 30 in the front and a Chrysler 8.25" in the rear both with 4.56s. Right now it's my daily driver with 33s with limited weekend Colorado rocky mountain wheelin'. I will be upgrading to 35s and another 2"s of lift in the next year hopefully. It will still probably be a daily driver for another one or two years until I can get a different d.d. and turn my XJ into a weekend warrior. My questions are would I just be better off going with limited slips for now and does anyone even make a locker for the 8.25"? I'm sure I'm going to have to upgrade to a dana 44 in the front(probably in the rear too) going with 35s so that makes it a hard case to waste money on a locker in the D30. Thanks for your thoughts!

98 XJ with 5.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift Kit, Rancho RS 5000 Shocks, 33" BFG ATs, 4.56 gears, Power slot rotors, Tom Wood's CV custom drive shaft with an Advance Adapters SYE, roof cargo rack for spare, high flow cat, glass pack, Jet stage 2 chip, Jet 180 degree thermostat, K&N FIPK, Bushwacker fender flares, Richmond ring and pinion in the rear.

Dana 30 with 35s can take a locker but you gotta take it real easy.... same with the rear. You would be best off to leave the 30 unlocked and un touched, it can run 33-35s fine... and swap out the 8.25 right away, with somthing llike a ford 9" and then upgrade it with a locker, and if its a DD then you should put in a selectable. With a rear locker you can go most places, and get the front locked down the road. I put in a 8.8 and ARb and tested it last weekend, beat on it real bad and it worked flawlessly. If I did it again and when I build my ultimate jeep in a few years I will do front and rear ford 9"

Laymans terms: I would do an axle swap with selectable locker, and run 35s. then swap the front down the road.

Thanks. Oops, meant to put this under the modified forum.

Definitely lockers. Posis (limited slips) are all but worthless in 90% of real-world wheeling scenarios. A locker will transfer power equally across both tires, a posi might sometimes transfer power, if you modulate the brake properly, and your clutch packs aren't worn out, etc.

Get a quality selectable, ARB or OX.

Back