• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front axle wheel hop is this normal

MPETESS10

NAXJA Forum User
ok so I finally got some accumulating snowfall to play in
this was my first real snow since I got my jeep
so I am out in an empty parking lot playin around
and it seemed like anytime I tried to put down any power and both front wheels got to spinning the front axle would hop around like mad
it kinda reminded me of trying to do burnouts in my S10 and getting axle hop on that
it really bothered me
is this normal
is something worn or wearing out that would allow this to happen

please give me some advice on this
its my first and only 4x4 and I dont wanna break something playin around or have something break when I need it most

the jeep is totoally stock XJ 4.0 5 spd with 231 case d30 chrys 8.25 3.07 opens

Your control arm bushings could be worn out.

Or it could be that your differential was trying to transfer the power between the two wheels and got confused. Giving you a sense of wheel hop.

Did it happen when you were turning, or going straight?

Mine does this in the snow too, even with everything new up front and long arms, the front axle bounces up and down trying to dig for traction. I have seen many others do this as well.

old_man said:
Got shocks?

Sounds to simple.............But probaly is the answer...........if not, it will, should help any ways.

Flash.

My 1991 XJ did it in the snow, and in the mud. I had to rev the heck out of it some times, and it always started to hop.... Then I dropped it in low range, (for a fluke) and it stopped! (It also got me through the snow a LOT better than high-rpms; what can I say? I'm a rookie!)

I haven't a clue what caused it, but wheel speed had something to do with it.

:)

your front wheels climb up the snow, and then you sink into the top.
repeat a few times and it feels an awful lot like axle hop.

Mine does the hoppy hoppy in the snow as well. Pretty much normal, Mine seems to do it as I am losing traction. Takes all the fizz out of my road rocket:cheers: .

well thanks for the tips guys
I am thinkin its kinda a normal scenario
but I also think I may need new control arm bushings (gettin the tell tale clunkin over certain bumps) and maybe shocks too (70+K miles on the stockers)
so I think these things combined make a semi normal condition seem WAAAAAY more dramatic

thanks again guys
atleast I know the front axle aint gonna explode on me next time I need to use some throttle in 4wd

Back