• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Still squeakin'

RoadTrippin

NAXJA Forum User
Today I noticed that even after replacing my serpentine belt a few weeks ago I still have the annoying squeaky wheel noise coming from under the hood. Something is about to go Im just not sure what. It only squeaks when its cold (below 15 degrees, and it will only happen if I dont let the engine warm up first), when it does squeak it will take about 20 mins of driving before it goes away. As long as the Jeep is rolling it makes this noise, it doesnt get any louder under load just the same constant squeak. The noise itself seems to come from the A/C side of the engine so maybe the compressor? I dunno, any ideas?
TIA
Dave

RoadTrippin said:
As long as the Jeep is rolling it makes this noise, it doesnt get any louder under load just the same constant squeak.

So if you're sitting idle, the noise isn't there? Sounds like it's not engine related. I'd look at wheel bearings and the alike. It could also be you've worn out your brake pads, as some of them have little "pins" built into them that, when you've reached a point that they should be "looked at", the pin will make contact with the rotor and make a high pithced squeeling noise. And since the pads are always in contact with the rotors, you'll hear it driving down the road and even worse when you step on the brake.

Can you describe the squeeling a little more?

99XJSPORT06 covered it all. pads, rotors, wheel bearings. ive have wierd noises coming from bad wheelbearings too

RoadTrippin said:
Today I noticed that even after replacing my serpentine belt a few weeks ago I still have the annoying squeaky wheel noise coming from under the hood. Something is about to go Im just not sure what. It only squeaks when its cold (below 15 degrees, and it will only happen if I dont let the engine warm up first), when it does squeak it will take about 20 mins of driving before it goes away. As long as the Jeep is rolling it makes this noise, it doesnt get any louder under load just the same constant squeak. The noise itself seems to come from the A/C side of the engine so maybe the compressor? I dunno, any ideas?
TIA
Dave

try alternator. I had the same issue, the bearings were going south and the salt and crap they use on the roads was splashed up into the alternator and it crapped out. Mind you it was over 10 years old, and original.

I had a sqeek the other day from the same spot, thought it was the A/C Compressor Was running the heat in 10º weather. Decided that was not the problem 10 miles down the road my idler pulley's bearing blew right out and i was left stranded. got a ride to the local napa and 27$ and 1 hour later old idler pully was the culpret.

Well I know its not the brakes as I replaced the rotors and pads this past weekend, bearings....maybe but I should have edited the post; on occassion it will make the squeak at idle, but not that often at all. It is coming from inside the engine bay that much I know.
The squeak itself is like a squeaky wheel out of a cartoon or on a shopping cart. Horrible description but its what it sounds like.

I have been gettin a squeek that sounds very firmalr to the one your describing. I hate it drives me crazy. I was thinking my belt also but its only 5 months old. Any one else have ideas.

Chris

You can try to isolate the site of the noise.

If you have some old garden hose, take a 3-foot piece of it and hold one end to your ear, hold the other end up to various locations. I first saw that in Mexico, and it works great!! It's like a "Mexican stethescope." Start with the middle of your idler pulley, then your A/C compressor, then your alternator.

Also ... if it were me, I would make sure the belt is good and tight, and spray a little belt dressing on both sides of the belt as the motor is running ... just to make sure you can eliminate that as the source of your noise.

If it turns out that your idler bearing is bad, you can buy just the bearing, and not the entire pulley ...

Napa import bearing number: P62032RSJ $3.99
Napa domestic bearing number: 62032RSJ $10.99
Timkin bearing number: 203FF

Use a large and small socket to press it out with a C-clamp or even a hammer. Worked great for me.
Good luck

Last edited:
JonsXjProjekt said:
I had a sqeek the other day from the same spot, thought it was the A/C Compressor Was running the heat in 10º weather. Decided that was not the problem 10 miles down the road my idler pulley's bearing blew right out and i was left stranded. got a ride to the local napa and 27$ and 1 hour later old idler pully was the culpret.

this also happened to me recently. my squeak was exactly as described. get that checked....

check your harmonic balancer. its a 3 peice design. an inner and outer metal pulley with a rubber sleeve sandwiched inbetween. what will happen is that the sleeve or the outer pulley (the part in which the belt rides on) will migrate either into your timing cover or into your radiator/fan. the harmonic balancer will eat into the side of a belt if it migrates far enough, which can cause a squeak/chirp. this has happened in 2 of the xjs i work on

rag said:
check your harmonic balancer. its a 3 peice design. an inner and outer metal pulley with a rubber sleeve sandwiched inbetween. what will happen is that the sleeve or the outer pulley (the part in which the belt rides on) will migrate either into your timing cover or into your radiator/fan. the harmonic balancer will eat into the side of a belt if it migrates far enough, which can cause a squeak/chirp. this has happened in 2 of the xjs i work on

X2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
happened to my xj as well. turned out the squeaking was the balancer outer pully eating through the timing cover... i had to replace the balancer along with all the seals and timing cover(balancer cut through it)
if you search for harmonic balancer you will find a few posts with pictures and how the balancer cut through the timing cover.

Back