• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with anti-freeze leak

Property Mgr

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1993 XJ Country, 305,000 miles on XJ--mostly highway, 130,000 on this motor--most of everything else is original. I recently spotted a few drops of antifreeze just below where the oilfilter meets the engine--just to the engine side of the filter. I have a dirty engine and not sure where the leak is at this point. This has been an on again/off again leak for two years. Any suggestions what might be leaking, where, and best way to trouble shoot/pin point the leak?

Thanks Guys

Property Mgr

My first guess would be the heater valve.

The first thing would be to clean off the engine and surrounding area and let it dry completely. Then, I would start the engine and let it get up to temperature, shut it off, and check around the hose connections on the right (passenger) side of the engine and see if you can feel any wet spots.

I found that the thermostat housing had somehow warped, took too long to find it and very quick to fix.

missouri

I did have a strange one once, I had a heater valve that would only leak while cold. So, you need to check it both warm and cold.

Back