• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

convert my D44 to disk brakes

HolsanXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98 cherokee on 35's that has an dana 44 in the rear out of an 87 cherokee and i was just wondering the best way to go about converting it to disk brakes without emptying my pockets to bad?

HolsanXJ said:
I have a 98 cherokee on 35's that has an dana 44 in the rear out of an 87 cherokee and i was just wondering the best way to go about converting it to disk brakes without emptying my pockets to bad?
search here for crown vic

We did it by pulling front knuckles from a 90 or earlier d-30 which have bolt-on brake brackets (they are a pain to get off but it can be done) then you fab a piece of 1/4 inch plate (at least) to fit the brackets and the axle tube (should wrap around 1/3 of tube at least).
remove tire.
insert rotor from front of donor d-30
bolt on. without tire.
insert caliper into brake bracket bolted to plate.
Apply brake line (use flexible line off stock front end for ease of use later so you can hang up caliper if you break an axle, etc.)
compress caliper onto rotor.
Spin.
This will give you a real close alignment of the plate on the tube. You still may have to "tack weld, release, spin to see if it is straight, repeat" , but this only should take a couple of minutes at most to verify that its true.
Weld home on both sides of the plate.
Gusset on diff side in a couple of places to reinforce.
repeat other side.
take pictures because i didn't.

One disclaimer though... no e-brake.
so DO NOT USE ON MANUAL TRANS JEEPS.

though I understand that Cadilac calipers do have a e-brake and will fit. **unverified**

Brian Carpenter said:
We did it by pulling front knuckles from a 90 or earlier d-30 which have bolt-on brake brackets (they are a pain to get off but it can be done) then you fab a piece of 1/4 inch plate (at least) to fit the brackets and the axle tube (should wrap around 1/3 of tube at least).
remove tire.
insert rotor from front of donor d-30
bolt on. without tire.
insert caliper into brake bracket bolted to plate.
Apply brake line (use flexible line off stock front end for ease of use later so you can hang up caliper if you break an axle, etc.)
compress caliper onto rotor.
Spin.
This will give you a real close alignment of the plate on the tube. You still may have to "tack weld, release, spin to see if it is straight, repeat" , but this only should take a couple of minutes at most to verify that its true.
Weld home on both sides of the plate.
Gusset on diff side in a couple of places to reinforce.
repeat other side.
take pictures because i didn't.

One disclaimer though... no e-brake.
so DO NOT USE ON MANUAL TRANS JEEPS.

though I understand that Cadilac calipers do have a e-brake and will fit. **unverified**

man... you did it the hard way. Did no one tell you crown victoria brakes bolt right on, and will come out of a parts yard for $60?

Bolt on to what??
the retaining bolts for the axle? How do you get clearance behind the axle and rotor? How do you make the bend and still keep it strong enough to brake the vehicle?

cal said:

Well, there you have it.. :read: Over $200 and the e-brake still doesn't work. Did you do this swap? How did yours work out? How much did it cost in the end?
With all Jeep parts mine cost about $50 for the axle from the junkyard ( I had the plate sitting around) and I got a spare set of axles to boot.
Either way,
Good Lock "HolsanXJ"

Brian Carpenter said:
Well, there you have it.. :read: Over $200 and the e-brake still doesn't work. Did you do this swap? How did yours work out? How much did it cost in the end?
With all Jeep parts mine cost about $50 for the axle from the junkyard ( I had the plate sitting around) and I got a spare set of axles to boot.
Either way,
Good Lock "HolsanXJ"
Do you mean the crown vic ebrakes don't work? It was pretty much a bolt on setup and I even have the ebrake :D

I paid $60 for the parts at the junkyard. I'll spend $20 for some new pads and $6 for the retainer plates at the dealership, and be done with it. I havent installed them yet, but it doesnt seem all that complicated.

Yeah, that guy spent $200. Some guys buy xj dana 44's for $700 too. ;)

Isn't that amazing.... $700 wow.
I spent $150 on an 87 waggy parts jeep and thought that was highway robbery..
I guess someone else always has deeper pockets.

Yeah, that always seems to be the case - some guys are afraid to shop around or turn a wrench. ;)

cal said:
I paid $60 for the parts at the junkyard. I'll spend $20 for some new pads and $6 for the retainer plates at the dealership, and be done with it. I havent installed them yet, but it doesnt seem all that complicated.

Yeah, that guy spent $200. Some guys buy xj dana 44's for $700 too. ;)
Crown Vic disks are also a near bolt-on a non-clip D35. On the D35 you have to fab a spacer as the TJ D44 retainer plates won't work, and enlargen the id of the rotor and lug holes a few thousandths - about 10 minutes work with a die grinder. You also have to change the ends of the hard lines to metric fittings with a bubble flare and then you can use two right-hand side oem crown Vic Ford hoses.

Here's the info I have on the TJ D44 retainer plates you'll need.
Mopar part number 5083678AA
Thickness 0.15"
Lip Height 0.225"
Hole ID 2.52" <= This don't work on D35 because the outer seal OD is 2.56"
Hole OD 2.75"

Back