• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer Case Noise

bigdogcherokee

NAXJA Forum User
When I put the transfer case into 4hi or 4lo and give it gas there is a clanking or grinding sound that happens and I have to take it out of 4WD. Any ideas on what it might be? I think it is the chain in the transfer case. (92 Jeep XJ Stock)

im pretty sure those chains are very strong under normal use, have you put a lot of strain on it in 4 wheel, or someone before you? the chain could be stretched, or it could be something in the front end and not even the transfer case at all.

first thing i would do would be check the fluid in the case, just unscrew the top plug, on level ground fluid should be just even with that hole. stick your finger in it, should be fairly clear, like clean oil. if it feels and looks ok but is low, add someone, it will say in your owners manual ( i think it might be 75-90w gear oil, but dont trust me on that)

if it feels and looks bad drain it through the bottom hole, reinstall plug and fill untill level with top plug. you may need a gear oil pump to succesfully complete this

I`ve just taken one out. easy way to tell is to take out the front DS , put it in 4hi/4lo and see how much slack is in the front yoke. you may even hear the chain slapping the case if its too bad. one of my chains was stretched, the other TC the gears and chain were wore.

It uses ATF not gear oil

Back