• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98, Rough idle, hesitation

whitexj98

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, 98 cherokee sport 4.0, AW4 130k
For about the past 6 months I've been having these problems, it idles very rough, not all the time, it will run fine and then just go crazy ,but it wont die. next (again it doesn't do this every time) when i accelerate from a stop it stutters, you have to pump the gas to get it to go. When these things happen it trips trouble codes P138 -O2 Sensor Circuit High Voltage (Bank 1 Sensor 2) & P132- O2 Sensor Circuit High Voltage (Bank 1 Sensor 1) But when i get on the highway it runs 60 miles an hour just fine, when i floor it, it responds right away with out a problem. It has these problems when its cold and at operating temp.

Ive replaced both O2 Sensors, the computer, TPS and the cats good, nothing changed. Its getting really annoying Any help!!!!!

Sounds like a MAP or a vacuum leak to me.

Wiggle every vacuum line you can find while its running to see if it changes the idle rpm. Vacuum leaks are almost impossible to see.

Also a dying ignition coil could be causing the problem. Intermittent weak fire to the cylinders would cause idle and power issues and a high voltage at the O2 due to excessive fuel. Exhaust would smell of fuel when running rough though.

Back