• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What kind of equipment do you nedd to do off-road type stuff?

naldo

NAXJA Forum User
I dunno if this is the right place to post this, but I'm interested in upgrading my jeep a little and doing some off road type stuff. I'm not looking to do anything serious, but right now its bone stock and doesnt really seem too capable of doing much. Not really sure where to start, I'm guessing a lift and some bigger tires would be the best place to start, how much would that run me for something basic but capable? Also, how much will this affect everyday paved road driving?

I have a 97, 4-door, I6, with the selec-trac 4WD, around 100k miles on it (is it too late to start off roading with that many miles?).

Thanks in advance.

tow hooks, lift, bigger tires, sway bar disconnects on fornt and rear or remove rear depending on inspections where you live.

Re: What kind of equipment do you need to do off-road type stuff?

Spend a few days looking around the site. Search what you think you might "need". Look at the "Jeep Picture Showcase"to see what works and looks good. Start by spending quality time under the Jeep changing fluids and seeing how things work. Deciede what you want to do with the Jeep, better yet find out what you CAN'T DO with what you have. 100,000 miles? It's now even broken in yet!

naldo said:
I dunno if this is the right place to post this, but I'm interested in upgrading my jeep a little and doing some off road type stuff. I'm not looking to do anything serious, but right now its bone stock and doesnt really seem too capable of doing much. Not really sure where to start, I'm guessing a lift and some bigger tires would be the best place to start, how much would that run me for something basic but capable? Also, how much will this affect everyday paved road driving?

An XJ is one of the most off-road capable SUV's for it's time.

Tires make the hugest difference.

But it all depends on what you drive through. Is it your daily driver? Are you looking to occasionally drive on the beach? Trails? Mud?

Do you need clearance?

3" 's is an excellent place to start. You really dont have to worry about transfer case drops, driveshafts, sway bars(ehhh), control arms(ehhh),
Get a pair of 31x10.5's for it and you will be very happy for an off-road capable daily driver.

Re: What kind of equipment do you need to do off-road type stuff?

PhotographerMike said:
Spend a few days looking around the site. Search what you think you might "need". Look at the "Jeep Picture Showcase"to see what works and looks good. Start by spending quality time under the Jeep changing fluids and seeing how things work. Deciede what you want to do with the Jeep, better yet find out what you CAN'T DO with what you have. 100,000 miles? It's now even broken in yet!

This is all excellent advice. Try it just like it is in a field somewhere. Then you will begin to see where improvement might be warrented. I did the same when I bought mine at 151,000 miles. I was just broken in at that point, I have 225,000 now and still love the heck out of it. Yours is much newer that many that people are wheelin with everyday. When you decide what the short comings of your stock rig are then you can make those changes. After you do your first upgrades then you can look for your second upgrade to do whatever you enjoy the most (trails, rock crawling, mud, hunting/fishing, etc....)

just be careful once you upgrade once it can really grow on yah...just ask my bank account:rolleyes:

yes search and start small and a build up over 3-4 inches you need to start regearing for tire size, tcase sye, driveshafts,etc. so start small, wheel it and get some recovery points

you will be surprised what you can do with 31 or 32 inch tires on a small lift

it is hard because there are so many suspention companies and i guess you have to ask yourself how much off road use is it going to see... is the lift for looks? etc... is it a DD? unless you have deep pockets what has been mentioned has been good advice...

Recovery points. Front and rear. A tow strap. Better tires then stock type anyway. Try to get the wife into offing if you got one. A tall boy jack. You really need one anyway my stock jack will not lift my rear tire off the ground on a bone stock XJ. A camera so you can upload pics !

If I were starting from scratch with a solid XJ as a start, I would do a 3" lift, 31x10.5 aggresive tires, front/rear recovery and straps, and either buy sway bar disconnects or just do like I do and unbolt your sway for the trail. First aid kit, tools, some spare parts, a cell phone and CB. And always wheel with others it is more fun and much more safe.

Then you can build it from there, but that will get you into plenty of fun.

You would be very suprised what a stock XJ can do even with crappy tires. Just mess aorund and figure out what areas of your heep you need to address. Be sure to get tow hooks and a tow starp....no metal!

Thanks for all the responses.

The jeep will be doing 90% normal everyday driving, 10% off-roading. It is my daily driver. Ratios might change as I get more into it though.

so the most important things are a lift, bigger tires, and tow points? I'm assuming I'd have to get new wheels too (will bigger tires fit on the stock wheel?).

What is a good tire that performs well on paved roads and off-road? Or do most people just keep two sets of tires and swap them out (though it would look kind of odd with a 3" lift and normal size tires). Also will 31" tires fit without a lift or do I have to get it lifted first?

You can fit 31" tires on a stock Cherokee, but you're going to have to take off the fender flares and cut the fenders a bit. 30's will usually fit fine under a stock XJ too, but with a bit of rubbing when you're off-roading. A 3" lift will easily clear 31 or 32" tires, and would be the best place to go after you get tired of it being stock height with 30" tires. As for on and off road performance, the BF Goodrich All Terrain is a great tire on the road and decent off-road. Just be careful though, you're going to want to put a set of aggressive mud tires on there as soon as you get the All-Terrains. It's addictive.

You are sitting in the same boat as me at the moment.

I worked a little bit backwards.
First thing I bought was a CB Radio, haven't had much use out of it because my friends don't have them yet. $150 CAD (receiver, coax, mount, antenna) - plan on adding external speaker to yell at people :)

Just picked up a class 3 rear hitch brand new $188 CAD (Putnam Hitch) I really like the construction of it, it looks very solid. Going to get that installed tomorrow.

If you don't have them, SKID PLATES, mine was missing the gas tank skid, so I just scored one for $40 CAD

I need a front recovery point (will most likely go with a set of Tow Hooks)
The guys on this board say C4x4 make the best front hooks. Something you should look into

I've got POS 235/75's (29") and they have amazed me a couple times for a pavement tire....

Waiting for income tax to come in then I'll buy some aggressive meats.

I have 1/2ton chev leafs sitting on my garage floor that I picked up for a 28 of beer, I'm going to throw an extra leaf in my stock pack (hoping for 2" of lift) and either run 31's or 30's 2" spacer going in the front end.

With my "mini" mods I have done so far, I have already spent $1000 (I have rims waiting to get mounted). It does get very addicting very fast.

30x9.5s on my stock wheels. I do get some rubbing on the flares on some angles - would recommend a small lift eventually, but it's definately wheel-able like it is.

It's amazing how a set of good tires transforms the XJ. Mine will go an incredible number of places even basically stock.

before you start spending money, leave your jeep alone and start shopping for some decent tires. 235/75/15 is a decent "big" size without to much rubbing.

then hook up with a 4x4 club and start going wheeling. the first things you should look into are front and rear recovery points. NOT JUST SOME LITTLE HOOKS FROM WALMART. there are proper recovery tow hooks that have the proper support, or you can buy entire bumpers that also have recovery points in them. then you should look into some skid plates. regardless how big you get, you will always scratch your belly on something. skidplates are a cheap insurance so you don't shatter your engine/tranny/transfer case or gas tank.

now here is the MOST IMPORTANT THING YOU NEED. a couple tips.

1) DO NO go wheeling by yourself. always bring at least 1 or 2 other 4x4's.
2) DO NOT go illegally wheeling. hook up with some clubs, or at the very least, get permission from a land owner to ride on his land.
3) DO YOUR RESEARCH. just because you ask if you should go with a lift first, and the first 3 responses say yes, does not always mean it's the right answer. take your time and do your research. there is a right way and a wrong way to get into this sport. unfortunately, alot of people (including myself) got into this sport the wrong way by buying the "cool" stuff first instead of the important stuff, and learning things the hard way (like not to go wheeling by yourself).

so take your time. do alot of reading. and go have fun.

tow points and straps first
rocker protection and skid plates second
lift third
tires fourth.
winch fifth
lockers sixth

the order matters less the further you get down the list.

over the past few years i've accumlated a nice collection of recovery, repair, and survival gear in my jeep...

475777_330_full.jpg

475777_331_full.jpg

All the stuff I keep tucked away in my jeep for when Murphy strikes-
-baseball bat (cant be too carefull)
-ice scraper (seasonal of course)
-electrical cleaner
-WD40
-multimeter
-can of fix-a-flat
-bungee chords
-big and small ball peen hammers
-assorted channel locks
-assorted crescent wrenches
-factory bottle jack
-assorted pliers
-chisel/pry bar
-5 clevises (2 on front bumper)
-50 feet of tow rope and a tree-saver basket strap
-duct tape
-fluid spill clean-up towels
-rags
-fire extinguisher
-collapsible 4-way lug nut wrench
-metric wrench assortment
-an industrial 2-ton come-a-long
-ratchet straps
-assorted screw drivers
-wire strippers
-Mag light
-plastic bags
-assorted gloves
-machete
-ATF
-engine oil
-power steering fluid
-brake fluid
-assorted zip ties
-electrical wire
-terminals, connecters, and fuses
-relays
-test light
-road flares
-engine thermostat
-lug nuts
-wheel studs
-binoculars
-safety glasses
-deodorant and shampoo (haha, gotta stay fresh)
-universal pouch tool
-hot hands hand warmers
-yak track boot traction things
-medical/survival kit
-batteries
-waterproof matches
-space blanket
-jumper cables
-electrical tape
-metric sockets up to 36mm
-Craftsman 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" drive short-handled ratchets
-Craftsman 1/2" drive long-handled flex-had ratchet
-Companion mixed drive exntensions and socket adapters
-glow sticks
-ponchos
-allen head wrenches
-maps
-spark plugs
-compass
-fire starting material
-energy bars
-valve cores
-umbrella
-tire repair kit
-logging chain
-spot light
-inverter
-engine coolant
-spare perscription glasses and medicines
-48" farm jack
-FRS radio
-9.6v cordless drill i wired to run off the jeep's battery and drill bits
-silicone
-gasket maker
-torx bit set
-7018 welding rods
-Garmin Etrex Legend GPS navigator
-spare used fuel injector and new o-rings
-assorted hose clamps
-tie-rod, drag link, and track bar
-front hub assembly

Stuff I can throw in anytime I know I'm going wheeling all day-
-saw
-bottled water
-shovel
-jacket and change of clothes
-spare bolt assortment
-gear oil
-homemade pull pal
-small oxy-acetylene torch set-up
-Black & Decker Electromate 400 (AC/DC Portable Power Station, Jump-Starter, Compressor, Cordless, Rechargable)
-spare front axle shafts
-7 gallon air tank

Stuff I would like to eventually get to carry-
-serpentine belt
-radiator hoses
-CB

wow talk about rattles...just the hilift handle rattle and the tool box are enough to drive me crazy i couldnt even sit in your rig.. haha but its you helping me out when i break down and forgot my glowsticks!! haha j/k buddy back to the topic. throw some 30's on it and wheel it a while if you wanna go on a harder trail ride with a buddy. till the cash falls from the sky..i would say save up and get a 4" kit at least nothing worse than buying a lift and not liking it 6 months later and buying another

Back