• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

T-Case Linkage woes

LilRhodyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
First before I forget...Specs: 2000 AW4 Np231 4.0L

A few months back I went to shift into 4Lo and my linkage broke. Turns out one of the tiny green busings had pretty much dry rotted and fell apart. I went to pick one up and thought it would be an easy process but I belive I was wrong. First I just tried to push it in with my fingers but that was a no go.. I tried to spray some WD-40 on it and push it in also a no go. My step dad and I tried to get a bar in there and use some leverage to get it in..also a no-go. vice grips, two vice grips, lubricated bushing and two vice grips...nothing will push that little fawker in... Pwnd by a $1 part

Can anybody lend me some help on what to do? Its so frustrating that, that small, annoying part renders my Jeep 4 wheel drive less from the inside..sucks getting underneath and pulling the linkage lever when the ground is freezing cold and there 200 plus degree mud and crap dripping on my face to go back into 2wd

Thanks in advance
Andrew

No super secret tips here. I used pb blaser for lube and a pair of vise grips to reinstall mine. As I recall straight on was better than at an angle.

Which end of the link? also use something better for lube, neither PB, or WD is as good as real oil.
I put engine oil on them and pull them in with a small bolt.

Use a pair of big channel lock pliers, they've always worked for me. Those bushings are some tough little beetches to get in.

Jeff

LilRhodyXJ said:
I don't quite understand what you mean but

I am trying to put it in by itself..

-ARod

hey andrew had the same problem in my old 93 xj. the bushings wore out and it broke right before a trail run.

a quick and really cheap fix we used was zipties to hold the arm to the other piece, and it held up just fine actually. Didnt break at all, and ended up parting out my jeep and they were still on there.

Back