• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

First "long" trip.....what would you do or take?

cherokee4fun

NAXJA Forum User
So, I think I am going to take the XJ for a 1200 mile spin. First time since I purchase it, that it will go on a long trip. The reason I am taking it, is, well, My '04 GC has studded tires on it, and going down to California, I don't want to wear the tires out.

Here is what I have done since purchase:

1990 XJ with 4.0, AW4 244,000 miles....

New Goodyear tires
new hoses, radiator, fluid
replaced water pump and belt
drained and refilled diff, transfer case and transmission
changed oil and filter
new front brakes
turned front rotors
replaced front u-joints
replaced air filter

This weeks plans:
spark plugs, wires, rotor and cap, fuel filter

maybe do the rear brakes.

So the question is, besides for taking tools with me, anything else you would do before you go or take with you? Any thoughts on what a XJ gets for gas mileage on the "open road"?

I never thought I would be thinking of taking a jeep with 244,000 miles on it for a long trip, but it seems to be running really well, much to my surprise!!!

Any advice is greatly appriecated.

Thanks,
Bob:patriot:

Seems like you've covered all the bases quite well... My 87' has over 260K on it, and it still runs like a top. 4.0's are unstoppable.

I'd pack extra coolant with you, as the closed systems can be a pain in the ass at times, running a little hot on long trips... Maybe a socket set, spare belt couldn't hurt. (the old one would do fine). A few quarts of oil is always a good idea.

It'll definately go the distance...

My 87' with a 5 speed gets about 17-21 on the open highway depending on conditions... The auto in my 89' seems to guzzle a little more.. But i'm stroked and running 23lb/hr injectors, it still gets 15-16 highway with 33's.

With routine maintenence the 4.0 is easily capeable of exceeding 350K without any major engine work.

I took a similar trip recently, besides the above I also carried an extra quart of ATF, funnel, spare fuses, electrical and duct tape, some parts I got from the u-pull-it; ballast resistor, relays (including starter relay), TPS (and the torx bit for it). I even had a couple diferent sizes of hose repair kits. Out of all that stuff, the only problem was one tire was a little low when we arrived in Florida...
Have a safe trip!

I take mine on a 300 mile round trip every weekend. In the back I keep a small socket set, my OBDII Scanner, a bottle of coolant, a small bottle of power steering fluid, some paper towels, a roll of duct tape, a flat head and phillips head screw driver, a set of jumper cables, and a jump box.

In your case, I would definitely have a good bottle of coolant, some small tool set of some sort, a well charged cell phone, a car charger for that phone, and if you can get a good set of jumper cables, i'd grab them too. Also a roll of duct tape can never hurt anybody (I can find a new good use for that stuff almost every day). Other than that, just take the camera and some snacks and you should be good to go!

As for MPG, I find I get my best b/w 65 and 75mph. If I push 80 it drops down significantly. If you have cruise control (and it works...lol) use that whenever you can, as that will also help in the MPG area. I can usually average 19-20mpg on my highway trips (and i don't have cruise) when I keep it around 70.

If it's the closed system I would for sure add a new turtle to the list along with your tune up parts, maybe a new mixing valve, a metal one. Hand tools and make sure you have the wrenches to drain and fill the transfer case if need be..

I've worked out of a small tool box for all my maintenance needs since I've had the Jeep. Tools were added as needed (Torx sockets, 36mm socket for front hubs, small adj. wrench, assortment of Vise-Grips, scissors) and removed if never used (odd ball sockets, etc.). It's always ready to go to the "pick-n-pull" or on a trip.

A few things added, just in case, in the case;
Hand cleaner, paper towels, disposable gloves, big trash bags (rain coat, drop cloth, dirty clothes bag), breaker bar with adapter for the sockets, a film can of axle grease, tie wraps, a bit of sand paper, an old spark plug wire (the longest), old serpentine belt.

One more thing to do; REPLACE the rear FUEL LINES when you change the filter. My lines started to leak after I changed my filter the first time.

Lastly; A spare key duct taped in a secret location somewhere under the car.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input. I will put together a box of stuff. Should I be checking the transfer case fluid level often? The spare key thing is a good one, as I have locked myself out before. When I start up the car to let it warm up, the door locks do a automatic lock thing, and when I close the door, well, you get the picture....keys in the ignition and me outside......

Bob

Back