• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear shock removal tips?

neonphire8604

NAXJA Forum User
I have spent a half an hour searching for advice and not once have i seen anyone who has used a torch to aid the removal of the rear shock bolts. I realize it may catch the carpet on fire but i was thinking what if i bought like 10 bags of ice and placed them in garbage bags in the back of the jeep? has anyone else tried this? I have been pb blastering them for the last few days but i need to replace them ASAP seeing how the bottom has broken off the driver sides and is just hanging from the top. I would think the torch would work like a charm it always has for me on other rusty bolts.:flame::flame:any other suggestions would be great! btw :NAXJA: has an excellent search engine compared to my other forums. i will deff use this one often!

If you have access to one, I've found that you can use an electric impact in short bursts and just keep reversing direction on them until they start to loosen up and come out.

Mike

use the torch or you will break something. trust me i've been through it.
and you don't want to break anything. it's a pain in the ass to fix.
i used one of those hand held torches and it works great.

I have access to an oxy acetylene will that be too much and melt the carpet or wire harness? This topic should be in the FAQ section. It would be helpful to a lot of people who didnt need to snap there bolts!

it might be a bit much but keep the heat down low. should work just fine. remember your just heating the bolt up not everthing else.

From experience, if and when those upper rear bolts do break, getting in there to rethread them is a big PITA, horrible, I broke all 4 of them, rusty as hell. Good luck with the torch.

If you do break the upper bolts, knock the weld nut off with an air chisel & feed a bolt in from the top. No need to drill & retap. JIM.

I will be changing my shocks out in the rear soon as well... I have already purchased BPE's

This is wha tI have been thinking...

If I break the bolts taking the rear shocks out, can I just weld the BPE into the stock shock mount location? Will it make any difference?

I broke mine way back when and just rethreaded them. It didn't take too long. My understanding is that they always break. I haven't heard of one person that didn't have issues.

JKS makes some cool FAB parts to take care of a lot of the XJ shock issues.

p_ogs922.jpg

http://store.jksmfg.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SHOCKMOUNT&Store_Code=JKS01&Category_Code=Shock

Take em to sears and get a set of cheapy shocks, installed, let them handle the problem.

RichP said:
Take em to sears and get a set of cheapy shocks, installed, let them handle the problem.

That's a pretty good idea. Let some tech hassle with it, and then they'll replace it if/when they break it.

Haha, yeah that would be a mean trick to play on some unsuspecting tech.
I would weld the BPEs up there. That sounds like a good idea to me.

I broke one side with an impact. Just soak them in PB and slowly back them in and out by hand and they will come out. Just be easy with them and take your time.

Most shops will charge straight time for unforseen problems like rusted/broken bolts on top of the flat rate, so the sears idea may not work, Just snap them all off, and do as ILLXJ did. Quicker,easier, use goggles so You don't get rusty,muddy eyeballs!

Back