• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

YJ'r needs XJ'r help

Tomb Raider

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all,

My situation:

I took a perfectly good 92 XJ and transplanted the 4.0L and drivetrain into my YJ. This includes the 4.0L, AW4 and NP242 transfer case.

My delema:

I have my YJ front driveshaft that is lenghtend and new joints put in it. The NP242 takes a CV style shaft, of which the YJ front shaft is not.

My question:

What is the spline count on the NP242 front yoke shaft. Kinda a specific question, and yes, I could find out by tearing it out. However this is my daily driver, and if I tear it out midweek, i'm afraid bad things will happen such as tearing a seal...or worse. If I had a definite answer, I could just order a different yoke and be done. Any help is appreciated.

Scott

you can get the part fairly cheap from Tom Woods. or you can get a new cv style driveshaft that will bolt up. i would defiantealy get one if you are 5'' or SOA. Not sure on spline counts, but have you tried to use the old 231 front output yoke on the 242?

reliablestv said:
whats the problem
he already said his problem

the front output on the 242 is XJ style with the holes in it so the bolts can go thru and thread the flange connected to the CV. The YJ TC front output is a ujoint strap style.

Take your old yoke off of your 231 and bolt it to your 242. Better yet, bolt the whole 231 to the back of the AW-4.

skyjackedxj96 said:
Not sure on spline counts, but have you tried to use the old 231 front output yoke on the 242?
when ordering a new shaft for a front YJ, that is CV. Tom woods will throw in the new yoke for little or nothing. this was for SOA YJ, with shackle reversal

1. Old transfer case sold.

2. I've already spent money on the Yj driveshaft, would hate to spend more on a new shaft.

3. TW said they would have something if the spline count was either 26 or 32.

So I am back to the original question. Spline count on the NP242 front yoke.

Yes, I do have SOA. However, front shaft angles are very minimal. Not nearly enough to warrant the cost of a new CV shaft. My front pinion angle is still at stock with ~6 degrees of angle. This was done to maintain caster.

Couldn't you just use u-bolts in the CV style yoke?

Lawn Cher' said:
Couldn't you just use u-bolts in the CV style yoke?

I considered that. Is it safe? I only ask that because the hole that the ubolts would fit into are larger than the ubolt itself would be. At least the ubolts specifically designed for ujoint applications. The ujoint fits, same 1310 joint.....just not the same mounting style. Thanks again for any input some smart fellow or lady might have.

Scott

Tomb Raider said:
I considered that. Is it safe? I only ask that because the hole that the ubolts would fit into are larger than the ubolt itself would be. At least the ubolts specifically designed for ujoint applications. The ujoint fits, same 1310 joint.....just not the same mounting style. Thanks again for any input some smart fellow or lady might have.

Scott

If you used a grade 8 flat washer and tightened it down really good, I think it'd work. Or you could drill out the holes in a strap and use the right sized bolt with a socket head.

Well, guess I'll pull it this weekend and see. If it's 26 or 32 spline, i can get a non cv style yoke. Anything else and I will just ubolt it till I decide which route to go otherwise. Thanks again for your help (except MuddinJeeper:gonnablow ) Here's my junk for those interested in what I was working on. I know, not an XJ....but it was built, not bought.

clean.jpg

nice Jeep. I'm planning on doing something similar with my Scrambler.

Thanks for the help fellaz. The ubolt option worked. For future reference, there is not a "non" cv yoke for the front output shaft of the NP242...at least not for 92-95 model years. Anyway, couple ubolts with grade 8 hardware, and was back on the trail. Thanks again.

poto2.jpg

Tomb Raider said:
For future reference, there is not a "non" cv yoke for the front output shaft of the NP242...at least not for 92-95 model years.

I dont know where you got that info, but I would question it.

I basically did the reverse swap you did. I bought a 231 out of a YJ to replace my busted 242. When I got ready to bolt the front dshaft in, I realized that the yoke wouldn't work. I pulled my old 242 yoke and in slipped right on the 231.

So, to re-iterate what CRASH said, a YJ NP231 front output yoke would have bolted up to your 242. Although it sounds like you already have a solution.

-jm

HTeK said:
I dont know where you got that info, but I would question it.

I basically did the reverse swap you did. I bought a 231 out of a YJ to replace my busted 242. When I got ready to bolt the front dshaft in, I realized that the yoke wouldn't work. I pulled my old 242 yoke and in slipped right on the 231.

So, to re-iterate what CRASH said, a YJ NP231 front output yoke would have bolted up to your 242. Although it sounds like you already have a solution.

-jm

But it's a CV style yoke to, am I correct? Also....did you have a manual or auto. I believe autos were the ones with CV's and the manual trannies did not come a CV style yoke.

Back