• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Eating O2s

xjrrrdx

NAXJA Forum User
Well like the title says I have gone throuh 5 O2 sensors, and I have yet to find out why. When I first lifted my jeep I hit a rock and it actually ripped the wires in half coming from the jeep to the sensor. I replaced the sensor and got a junkyard XJ connector and soldered it on. Replaced the O2 and went on my way, well a few weeks later a CEL came on and it was the O2, so I warrantied that one and I was good for a few months, then I smashed my cat but the sensor was fine, so I replaced the cat with an OEM and a few weeks later there went the O2. Replaced it, few months later same thing. I have had the current O2 in there for about 5 months now and every other day the CEL will come on and its the same sensor. The sensor was heatshrinked so no wires come into contact when I soldered it. Every scan I get says the bank 2 sensor. I am using the Bosch OEM plug, not universal. I replaced the bank 1 O2 sensor just to replace it to see if it was helping.

The light was on all day yesterday, I turned it on this morning and it was off.

Well I replaced a few because of smashed ones. Other than that I dont have any idea, this is the first time its been intermittent like this. I get 240 miles a tank (uncallibrated speedo) and same power. I am leaning towards a short but I checked my soldering first and they are still good to go I guess I need to start looking further up the line.

Using the wrong RTV gasket sealer can kill an O2 sensor.

Back