• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Whats the beef on MJ seats?

dtmracerx

NAXJA Forum User
Okay a while back I read somewhere in these forums that XJ seats form the mid to late 80s would bolt into an MJ. So I whipped the seats out of my XJ (which were originally from some early year XJ) and went to take the bench out of my comanche only to notice that the lower brackets were completely different.

The comanche front bolts have maybe 1.5" differnce in height where the XJ seats are flat across the bottom. They obviously are NOT compatable.

Can some friend naxja-er set me straight or at least provide some in sight for me, and the others who would like to know?
thanks!
-gabe

dtmracerx said:
Okay a while back I read somewhere in these forums that XJ seats form the mid to late 80s would bolt into an MJ. So I whipped the seats out of my XJ (which were originally from some early year XJ) and went to take the bench out of my comanche only to notice that the lower brackets were completely different.

The comanche front bolts have maybe 1.5" differnce in height where the XJ seats are flat across the bottom. They obviously are NOT compatable.

Can some friend naxja-er set me straight or at least provide some in sight for me, and the others who would like to know?
thanks!
-gabe
You have to separate the XJ sliders from the XJ bases and then bolt the XJ sliders to the MJ bases.

upon further inspection of the MJ brakcets I did notice a couple "spare" holes... I assume it is the large rivets that need removing? (coming directly out of the sliders and into the bracket)

Thank goodness I bought extra cutting discs... :)

XJ seat tracks will not work in an MJ because of the extra bracing on the floor of an MJ.

You can drill out the rivets to remove the seat track from the XJ pedestals and weld the tracks to the bench seat pedestals to make MJ bucket seat tracks but you have to be careful with heat because you can damage the slider mechanism (Ask me how I know) :laugh:

Or you can purchase MJ seat tracks (which I did after the welding fiasco...)

Later,
Joe

Why weld? All you need to do is split the lower brackets from the MJ bench. Once apart you will see the holes in brackets for the XJ sliders. As long as you have the flat type sliders from an XJ it will all bolt together. 8 1/4x3/4 bolts and your in the MJ bucket seat business.
This how I have done multiple sets including RenixPowers MJ seats. I did his and mine in my (new to me) 88 Sportruck in under two hours. HTH

Back