• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lockers for D44

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
OK, I think I like the idea of the electrac: limited slip when not engaged and when engaged... a regular locker...

Are there any other similar products out there? Also is there a downside to the electrac?

Kejtar

the shift forks stink ... supposedly they already have an updated fork.. however one of the guys in my club put them front and rear in a tj.. the actuator is very vulnerable ... he also obliterated the locker after 3 wheeling trips because the shift fork kept pulling too far.. needless to say he returned them. ::shrug::

I had ordered one of these from Drivetrain Direct and it never came... so I called to ask what was up. Turns out that they have had so many of these break since being introduced that they decided to stop carrying them. He told me what kind of jeeps it was breaking on and it was: cherokees with 31s, wranglers with 32-33s, relatively small setups. They basically told me I could have my money back but that they wouldn't sell me the locker and I would have to go somewhere else if I wanted it. After talking with the guys there I decided to go a different route. Give them a call and they can tell you technical specifics. Would have been nice though... limited slip and a locker...

marcus

Hmm that's not good to hear... TracTech usually has first class stuff. As with other new products, IMHO it's best to let others guinea pig them and wait for the improved version.

Eaton has an electric locker but I can't recall hearing anyone's feedback from it yet.

woody said:
Eaton has an electric locker but I can't recall hearing anyone's feedback from it yet.

I don't believe that the elocker is available for the D44 yet, but Eaton told me they expect it out by the end of the year. Also, I believe it's an open diff when not actuated, not an LSD like the electrac.

I'm in the same boat as you, deciding on a locker for the D44 sitting on the garage floor. I definitely want a selectable one since we get snow and ice around here. They all have their good and bad points.......

Just go mini spool its about $600 cheaper than an electric locker
DIG IT!

the 'stud' detroit locker......strong,tough,dependable. only neg...when putting in gear...the noise will scare the hell out of ya. p.s. why would you want a ltd in a 44??? if so, i have a factory trac-lok for a 44 i took out. drive to bak...and give me a offer.

For a selectable, I've been tending towards an OX. The cable mech. has been changed within the last year(?)

The thing about electrics that keeps popping into my head(get ready to flame me) is there any chance of inducing a magnetic charge on any internal parts. R&P etc.

Because of my skill as a plumber and anything pneumatic,(hisssssss) I tend to want to shy avay from the ARB. I'm in no way implying that the ARB ( put the Napalm down ) is anything but a top notch product. It's just that if I'm involved in any way, shape, or form theres going to be a leak.

Just my 2/100$

Last edited:
Id go with either a ARB since you want a selectable locker or my fav, the good ol Detriot plane and simple....

I dont know why your so anal about limited slip.:rolleyes:

either your locked or your not. in between is halfass, thats the way I look at it.

those E-locker are the PERFECT waist of money

Well... the reason I'm thinking about one that unlocks to LS is that I don't want to run locked the whole time. I have been able to do quite a bit on my slowly dying LS and I want the locker there for when the LS can't do nothing for me anymore :D

Install wise are some a bigger pain to install then the others?

Kejtar

Why not check a Jeep dealer about buying the selectable locker they use in the Rubicon TJ? That axle is a true Dana 44 (not an aluminum abortion like the ZJ/WJ "Dana 44"). It is a limited slip when not locked, and the air pressure required is far less than an ARB.

I have not researched what would be involved in fitting it to an older Dana 44 axle, but perhaps MJR could find out if it's possible. The story I've heard is that when one of the magazines asked a Jeep engineer why they picked an unknown brand of locker, his answer was "Because we tested them all and that's the one we couldn't break."

I take that with a liberal dose of salt. It probably means "We tried all the cheap lockers the bean counters told us we could afford and that's the one that didn't break driving out of the shop" but it's at least encouraging that they didn't pick it totally blind (maybe).

I did talk to a guy in a Rubi out on a trail last time and he has had his since day 1..... he took it all over and he told me he had really no complaints about it... so yeah, that might be worth considering...... MJR? Anyone?

Kejtar

doh... shows I'm awake LOL

Kejtar
P.S. Rev.... I'm a procrastinator..... my steering wheel is still crooked LOL.... but as an excuse I got other things that are more in a need of repair/replacement before moab...

I am going OX trax in front if they ever get off their but and get their site or email running again. With a rear spool. Since we only get like a week of snow here in Okla.
Oh and about the winch get some good snow tires and you can just pull out of the ditch with the spool in the rear and since you went with the spool rear you will have enough cash for a front locker if not so equiped.
Or why not keep the posi you have now and get the rebuild kit?

Back