• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Here's a new one...

Rob Mayercik

NAXJA Member #920
NAXJA Member
Was under the hood this afternoon, installing a new MAP sensor (darn thing tossed the code at me last Saturday as I was preparing to head to Paragon).

Anyhow, when I went to close the hood, the plastic clip for the prop rod snapped. I wasn't that surprised, since it was old and didn't hold the rod too well anymore, so I don't mind picking up a new one.

It occured to me that perhaps there might be a better solution than the factory clip. I'm going to give it a little thought over the next couple of days (I'm not in all that much of a rush, since it's a non-critical part), but if anyone has ideas, shout them out.

Rob

Plastic one was broke on my '88 when I brought it. Scrounging around at the u-pull-it, I found a Jeep with a metal clip, so I snagged it. Don't know if it came on certain years of XJs, or if that PO got it off of another type of vehicle??? Anyone? It didn't feel like an "exact" replacement, but it did snap into the same hole, been there ever since.

I've been running with a broke one for about 6

yrs, Doesn't seem to be an issue, in fact it's

easier to not have to un-snap it, It just lays

there on my 93, can't get in the way of anything.

My 98 had a metal clip instead of the plastic one. On my 90 it doesn't bother me that the clip is broken, it doesn't hurt anything to just hang there loose.

Later,
Joe

Go to the salvage yard and pull some hatch shocks and make a bracket for it to mount under the hood. Look at gojeeps's site for a write-up.

Then take the old prop out.

Motormite sells a assortment pack of prop rod clips and there is one in there that fits the XJ just perfect. The Motormite stuff can be found at Advance Auto or Autozone in the "Help" section.

I'll look into the Autozone clip, thanks - probably be cheaper than the dealer.

Jess: I've been thinking a lot about doing the strut, but don't want to eliminate the prop rod (never hurts to have a backup).

Thanks guys.

Snatched mine off of a Toyota in the J-yard. metal, and fit under one of the fender bolts. done.

Toyota trucks have metal, I may have one in the garage you can have. I'd hold off till its warmer and just troll thru the jy. Gives you a good excuse to find more project ideas :eyes:

Back