• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I cant get my transmission pan off

teookie

NAXJA Forum User
:repair:

Whats the trick to getting the transmissin oil pan off? I've removed the bolts but cant seem to work it out between the crossmember and exhaust. I'm wondering if my exhaust has been bent back or something thereby preventing removal.

Anyone have experience w/ removing the transmission oil pan? I can't drive the jeep right now and will need it next week!

Please help!

96 XJ with the AW4 and 4.0 HO

You really don't need to remove the pan on a aw4 to service the tranny(has a drain plug) but sense you have it down....might as well.

I thing that the cross member need to be lowered or the tranny mount remove and raise the tranny up far enough to allow the pan to escape!

Flash.

Put a ratchet strap around the exhaust down tube and the front axle and ratchet the exhaust just far enough towards the axle to allow you to drop the pan.
Have you dealt with the filler tube yet? When you have trouble getting that apart, do a search. Theres tons of posts about that.

Yes...a real PIA. Did trans. fluid and filter recently on my '99, and had difficulty believing that the pan wouldn't drop free... Was feelin' some real 'designer contempt'!

I ended up disconnecting one trans.cooling line and, then, needed to actually reach in and remove the filter to enable full pan removal... with reverse-order procedure to reinstall.

Mine is a 96 and the only thing I had to do is take out the bolts and dissconnect the filler neck.

Kim

scorpio_vette said:
interesting......2 of your jeeps are 96 and newer. what about the other 2 posts???

i have a 95, and i was able to drop the pan without anything more than the socket to get the bolts out.

Mine is a 96 also, and Ive got to pull the exhaust forward about 1/2" to get the pan down.

Mine's a 99, but I did disconnect the dipstick tube....that could be what's hangin you up if you haven't done it already.

If not, it sounds like theres a ton of RTV on there.

'99 also....with definite lack of clearance for removal due to interference from T-C crossmember/exhaust, etc....after fill-tube removal.

Back