• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

okay was my axle swapped?

Mopar It

NAXJA Forum User
got an 89' laredo with 4x4 part time. and i went to get the hub/bearings replaced and they bought the parts for that specific vehicle. but it turns out theyre thinking i have a dana 35 FRONT axle under there. how do i tell?

Last edited:
CanMan said:
What does that have to do with his Cherokee?

Back to the point, if you have a 4x4 XJ, you have a Dana 30 axle, NO others!

I think it was a joke because Exploders came with a D35 TTB.

CanMan said:
Im sure it was a joke, but doesnt make sense to confuse a guy who doesnt know what front axle he has even more.... :dunno:

True.

I agree that the parts store computer systems could use better info but Im not sure its fair to say the parts guy is an "idiot" just because his computer may give him bad info. You cant really expect him to know by heart what axles come in every vehicle.
Do you know what axles comes in the fron of a Geo Tracker???
No ! Are you an idiot for not knowing that?

No offense intended but I would be more likely to consider the person who walks into a parts store and depends on the computer to tell them what parts they need as the idiot. Its easy to do a little research prior to shopping these days. Jump on here or a hundred other sites and search for a couple seconds and anyone would be able to find out what axle they have.
Just so no one takes my comments personally, I will testify to have walked into parts stores unprepared more than a couple times and walked out with the wrong parts.

Last edited:
the reason i said the parts guy is most likely an idiot is because of what i see in the parts stores around here. i run a small auto repair shop and also work out of my home garage and so i spend ALOT of times at the parts stores. and yes you are right.....there are alot of problems with the computers. but i see more errors where the parts guys either 1)don't know how to use the computer 2)don't know how to read 3) don't know what the hell you are talking about, and don't know the difference between a spark plug and a butt plug. 4) and my favorite one......DON'T HAVE ANY BASIC KNOWLEDGE OF ANYTHING.

so if the guy in all honestly made a mistake, then fine. but i would say that 4 out of 5 parts guy screwups are because of what i mentioned above, or because they don't pay attention.

so like i said.....ask for a different parts person if you need to. there is always 1 good one that knows almost everything in the store and on the cars. that's who you wanna deal with.

If you have a NAPA store near you, go there. They generally have the most knowledgable counter persons, certainly worlds better than most folks at Shucks or Action.

The ones up here in WA are the most knowledgable. I assumed it was a chain-wide deal, they've had the best reputation around here forever.

Yeah, the NAPAs around here are excellent, although I seem to remember the one I used to have to go to in Oregon being dicey.

Likelyhood is that the computer is wrong or the gentleman at the counter misread the screen.

I suppose if you're really thinking the axle isn't a Dana 30, you could post a picture of it on here and we could ID it for you.

Back