• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

squealing under hood

Smittty9785

NAXJA Forum User
on my moms 93 GC we have been hearing a noise. its not all the time but not every once in a while either. it sounds like it might be the belt. i just replaced the belt and idler pully. so i dont htinks its either one of those.. but when she goes to leave the driveway there is a squealing/grinding noise. doesnt sounds too good. any help would be nice ty

take a long heater hose and probe under the hood, holding one end to your ear. Chances are either the alternator or the ps pump bearings or the water pump are on their way out.

On at least the '92 4.0, there's a TSB out regarding serp belt squealing. It has something to do with the P/S pump pulley being slightly out of alignment and needing a shim behind it. Let me see if I can find it on my trusty TSB thingie...

...hmm, doesn't seem to apply to the '93 Grand. Here's what it says for a '92:

NO.:
07-03-92 GROUP:
Engine DATE:
Oct. 19, 1992 SUBJECT:
Drive Belt Noise MODELS:
1992-93
(XJ) Cherokee
(MJ) Comanche
(YJ) Wrangler

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The vehicle may exhibit a serpentine belt chirp coming from the upper idler pulley or crankshaft damper. This may be caused by the power steering pump pulley not being correctly positioned on the pump shaft.

REPAIR PROCEDURE:
If the vehicle exhibits the chirp, inspect the pump pulley. The vehicle may be equipped with either a steel or a plastic pulley.

Inspect the area in the center of the pulley as shown in Figure 1. The pump shaft depth should be 7.25 mm +/- .25 mm (.275" +/- 0.01 ") with respect to the pulley hub face. If the depth is not within the specified range, remove the pulley and reposition it using the procedure in section 19, pages 10 and 11 of the 1992 Jeep(R) Service Manual.

Inspect the pulley hub position on the pump shaft. The end of the pump shaft should be flush with the end of the pulley hub (+/-.25mm or 0.01") as shown in Figure 2. If the hub is not flush, reposition it using the procedure in section 19, pages 10 and 11 making sure that the shaft is flush with the end of the hub.

POLICY:
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty. TIME ALLOWANCE:Labor Operation No. 19-70-45-90 ......... 0.9 Hrs.

FAILURE CODE:
51 - Improperly Installed

thanks guys i was thinking the PS pump as well ill look into that.

My noise was the rotor rubbing inside the cap...drove me nuts until I realized what it was... replaced them both

Don't overlook that if you have recently replaced the belt, it may just need re-tightened. They tend to stretch a little after first installed.

replaced the PS pump and that seemed to do it, thanks guys

Back