• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Pressure Guage all the way at 80?

12 Volt Man

NAXJA Member # 1383
2000 XJ

I think I read a thread about this a while ago. Searched but couldn't find anything about it.

Sometimes my Oil pressure guage goes all the way to the right at 80. It happened a few times and I was able to turn my engine off then when I started it again it would be fine. Lately it happens and I have to restart the engine 3 or 4 times for it to go back to normal levels.

Seems like there was some kind of sensor near or on the oil filter?

Anyone have any advice? I think it is a guage or sensor issue, not an actual problem with my pressure.

The oil pressure sensor, near the oil filter and attached to the oil filter adapter in the engine block, passenger side is the usual suspect.

rpyne said:
Check the wire first, if it is loose or disconnected it will peg the guage.

When the wire is disconected does it peg the reading at 80 psi or 0 psi????? I was thinking it would be 0 psi????

I know it pegs the reading one way or the other, but I am not sure which direction.

same thing happens here, but when i accelerate the pressure drops slightly. i have had 3 different used sending units on it and no luck. try to verify the pressure with a mechanical gauge if a new sending unit doesn't work. the sending units are relatively cheap.

If I remember correctly, when the sender is unplugged or otherwise has an open connection, the gauge will spike. If the wire is shorted, the gauge will show little or no oil pressure.

rehab said:
but when i accelerate the pressure drops slightly.

Now there is one I have never seen or heard of! :wierd: Wonder what would cause that??????

A loose ground wire perhaps???

Ecomike said:
Now there is one I have never seen or heard of! :wierd: Wonder what would cause that??????

A loose ground wire perhaps???
In my case, it was due to an intermittent wire short.

I have this happening, too. It started right after my oil change two changes ago. Before my pressure would sit at 40 and go up to 60 occasionaly during accel. Now the entire spectrum is up 20, normal at 60 and spiking to 80.

Take the sender connector off, clean it with 'brakekleen' or something like that.....known problem....oil gets in there and gives false readings.

i don't mean to hijack the thred but my gauge (when idling) will jump from 0 to 40 then to 20 finally back to 0 even if i push on the gas it takes about 10 seconds then it goes up but not substantially i just changed the sending unit and still the same thing. Is it the wiring shorting or possibly the oil pump?

Back