• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stripped Threads

praetorian

NAXJA Forum User
I stripped the threads for the the hole the caliper bolts onto knuckle. Just the top hole is stripped out. Any recommendations on how to remedy this w/o having to replace the knuckle?

I had this remedy on the jeep for about a year.

Find a grade 8 bolt that fits at the bolt store, but is just a hair too long.

Get a matching nylock.

You'll notice that the nylock is too thick to fit on the backside of the knuckle.

cut the nylock in half so that you are left with 2 thin nuts.

make sure the bolt is trimmed so that when it is all the way in it is sticking through the hole enough to get the nut on, but not enough to touch the rotor etc.

Use a very long and very skinny pair of pliers to hold the nut behind the hole as you spin the bolt into it.

Yes, this mandates having a very skinny set of pliers for disassembly/reassembly in the future, but I was able to disassemble/reassemble at least 5-6 times before I got new knuckles, actually got good at it.

Follow the instructions?????:confused1

Apparently, anybody who's gotten the Helicoils to work for them.

They're not that complicated. Drill the hole out *WITH THE PROPER SIZE BIT*. Tap the hole with the supplied tap, thread the coil in with the supplied tool. Use a punch to break off the tang.

Yeah, easiest repair I've ever done. I had to do both of my knuckles. I used the Permacoil, which is pretty much the same thing.

Back