• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Things arent working many issues...

1999limiteded

NAXJA Forum User
Hello I just recently purchased my moms 99 xj limited and it has a few quirks. Jeep has 144000 mi on it.
  1. Front end humms at 30 mph and up. I think it is the wheel berrings. I already ordered hubs, just wondered if anyone else experienced a humm noise and if it was the hubbs.
  2. Passenger side windows dont roll down on their own switches, but they do roll down on the driver side master switch that controlls all the windows. Im thinking a bad ground on the passenger side.
  3. There is a leak under the passenger side of the radiator and its not coolant. It has a oily consistency and appears to be tranny fluid or power steering fluid. Does my jeep have a tranny cooler?
  4. Passenger side heated seat works but not the driver side. The light on the togle switch comes on, but not the seat. Not that important but its a nice feature when its cold.
  5. Stock sound system sucks! It came with the infinity system but its age is showing. Any good results from replacement speakers and deck?​
Any suggestions, tips, or advice would be greatly appreciated.:us:​

hope u got it cheap!

as for the tranny, there are lines that run into the rad for cooling,
for the window switches, someone might have spilled something, or even take the switch out and make sure its plugged in right, see if it smalls burnt.
drivers seat could be a broken wire.
i put a JVC cd/mp3 player and rockford speakes in my 89, if u replace speakers , make sure u put back any plastic or sheild that was behind th oem speakers.

#4 Could start a fire trace that wire and find that short now before your truck burns down.
#3 If you have an auto, and there is redish fluid leeking from the radiator then you have a trans cooler. Jeep ran the trans fluid cooling lines with the engine coolent lines in the radiator so if its bad the whole thing is shot. Shitty design,:firedevil try and run a trans cooler and get a regular radiator.

Hey,

I have a 1999 limited xj with similer issues.

Trany cooler does leak = I just keep an eye on my fluid level. I found it only leaks when running... I could find a new hose at the junk yard but ehh.

I had a speaker go bad in the drivers door found it was a bad wire in the Bend that goes through the door. ran a new wire and works fine. I am guessing the same could be wrong with your window. I would just take the trim off and test it with a volt meter.

I have a humm at 35 MPH but thats cause I got 33 inch tires on it. goes away at 40mph.

thats what I got so far.
normal_IMG_3239%7E0.JPG

On the windows switch, I have seen a few writeups of bad solder joint in the switch. The folks that posted were able to get the switch out, take it apart and resolder the connections.

The hum is most likely bad hubs to see which one it is grab the tire @ 12 and 6 and try to move the tire in and out if there is play the hub is going. The drivers side switch is usually the culprit for the other switches not working. There is a way to fix the drivers side switch by putting a t-tap on 2 wires on the switch. The only problem with that is you lose your window lock, but it is a small price to pay cause I'm sure the stealership will charge an arm and a leg.

On the BLUE connector attached to driver's power window switch assembly, splice into pin #9, which is a TAN wire.
One the WHITE connector attached to the driver's power window switch assembly, splice into pin #8, which is a YELLOW wire.
Just t-tap a small wire between the 2 and you are set just no window lock

Last edited:
Back