• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

looking at the downside of a few more inches ??

wdyer14

NAXJA Forum User
So here's where I stand,,,Searched all over and got alot of bits and pieces,but no full on answers for my setup.
I did the typical 3" Rough Country lift about 6 months ago and of course I've got inchitis (lol).I would like to get spacers for the front 1 1/2" and shackles 2" on the back so I can trim up and clear 33's but I'm wondering what type of problems I'm in for.My current setup is
2000 xj
auto w/3.73 gears and towing package
3" rough country coils
3" rough country spring pack
adjustable trackbar,disco's,T-case drop,extended shocks
otk tie rod flip
I have vibes at 37-45mph and then they are gone (no dw or bump steer)
new ujoints all around,new tierods,and my lca bushings are shot and my balljoints are up next.

Should I order adjustable lca $250 or replacement stock ones $50 ?just needed some info,I don't wheel hardcore just hit alot of rough terrain in the mountains getting around for work,,so this is also my DD.

PS
I'm looking at locking both ends and regearing soon so suggestions are also welcome.

You need to drop your transfer case down a 1",this will help with the vib.Thats the lift i started with.If your going to run 33,4:11 gears are good,Iinstalled 4:88 for my 35",and it works great,I have a detroit locker in the front and a full spool in the rear.Drives and rides great.

Vibrations

The 8.25" rear axles seem to be real prone to vibration. My son ran 2 different Dana's in the rear with Very little vibration. Myself I have had 3 different Dana's and my latest is a 44. I have had very little vibration at about the same height you are exploring. I shimmed the last time and now have Zero. My sons latest Rear axle though is an 8.25". He can not get it to stop. He has shimmed, Lowered and now is going to try a T/C drop. He will probably end up going SYE though. He is actually right at about 6" in the rear right now.
As far as regearing and lockers there are so many options with both on your year model. The HP Dana 30 are limited to 4.88 and yours is low pinion and I believe you can go down to 5.38s. I see where you might have a problem because you have the bug. If you gear down now you may not go low enough and when you lift and put on even larger tires you will be geared to high then. So go as low as you can stand and hope that is low enough when you finally get limited by tire size. XJs can only go so big because of wheel well limitations. Of course some guys just start hacking everything to make bigger ones fit. I still drive mine around town and I like it to look good too. It does real well on the Road and the Rocks both though and still turns as many heads as a Hot Chick. I love the dropped Jaws :laugh:
Have fun, it has Just begun !

I've gotten some sound advise on the forums and here's what I'm trying.Since money is a little tight right now I'm ordering stock lca's from quadratec (19.98 and mine are shot) and sticking with these until I'm ready to lift again.Then I'm going with rough country adjustable upper and lowers and shimming the rear.( 6 or more months I would guess)

I'm going to hold until my new tires wear down then go with 33's trimming the fender and installing some bushwhacker flares.For the axel's I'm thinking powertrax in front and I'm open for suggestions in back,,also tossing in some 4.56's for good measure !

I wouldn;t jack with dropping the tcase.

Since you've already seen how the itch gets...

it only gets worse. Eventually you will want to get taller with bigger tires again.

Get the SYE, they aren't that expensive. ($200 or less)
http://www.performanceoffroadcenter.com/oscommerce/index.php?cPath=33_120

This is a total upgrade to the tcase in the sense that you will get rid of vibes and if you ever do break something in the back...you can just pull the driveshaft (without dumping tranny fluid all over the trail or road) and limp home in front wheel drive.

Just my .02 but either way...good luck.

Back