• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Geometry...RE 3.5 w/measurements

StylerG

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched for awhile, and have some bump steer (yes bump steer not death wobble) and am trying to get it narrowed down. I have the RE 3.5 kit, sits at 4.5 and an adjustable Black Diamond Trac Bar. Everything on the front end is tight, ball joints TRE's all that stuff check out from a professional shop great, and has had a professional alignment.
I have the stock steering stabilizer and know that my steering geometry isnt the best, but it doesnt look that bad (especially with this small of a lift)
I just ordered some drop brackets to smooth out the ride and compensate hopefully for the bump steer.
I have a few questions from searching though.
1. Will ordering the HD trac bar bracket from RE lower my trac bar mounting down enough to make everything perfectly parrallel? Right now the heim joint sits 5" down from the fram rail to the middle of the joint.
2. Would a heavy duty steering stabilizer (such as OME to match shocks) help in addition to the drop brackets and solve the problem?
3. Last option would be the JCR 1-ton, but i really dont want to order it unless that is the only option i have because all my components are still good.
Im only running 31's and they have been balanced, rotated, and checked for air pressure.
Thanks

Yeah the hd tb mount will lower it down a good bit, I'd ge tthe hd tb also though.

steering stabilzers are a bandaid, I run JCRs 1-ton steering with really no bumpsteer and no stabilizer. The steering didn't have bumpsteer before though, its just more firm now and stronger.

my questions isnt about what proper geometry is, but how to achieve it with my lift. I understand certain measures must be taken for a 6" lift that wouldnt be necessary for mine, so, what im asking is will anything other than a 1 ton setup be alright for me. Through searching i have read that the 1-ton has caused some problems for people and it seems to be people with smaller lifts, but ive also read that both the drop brackets and upgraded steering stabilizers have taken care of the problem for people with smaller lifts. I know i need things to be parallel, but how do i get there???

StylerG said:
so you run your hd trac bar and bracket with your 1 ton? How much lift do you have?

RE 4.5", If I was you I;d just wait for the CB and get them on and see how the ride/steering is. Its never gonna be a Vette and I don't remember many with the 3.5" complaining. Search "steering" or 1-ton steering" and there are tons of posts on this and what your draglink/tracbar angles should look like.

I dont think the ride is horrible, i really am happy with it, but the bumpsteer is another issue. The drop brackets are a futile attempt to prepare for the next inchitis and justified by improving ride now. When i searched i found that some guys got rid of bumpsteer with steering geometry that looks like mine now, some guys didnt, etc. etc. I just wanted a final word before i started ordering a bunch of stuff! Thanks

I have 3.5" and I thought the ride was good before untill I got my HD trac bar and bracket. What a diff that made. Now with the Drop Brackets the whole suspension has smothed out.

A picture of your front end would be priceless in this thread.

The biggest thing is the angle between the trackbar and draglink, as has been stated many times, and I'm pretty sure you well understand. Here's what my angles look like, I will occasionally get a hair of bumpsteer if only my passenger wheel hits a bump but taking things head on, I get nothing .. from little rough spots in the road to whoop's in the desert at 55.

steering.jpg

I think if I were to get my trackbar a few inches longer, I could get rid of what bumpsteer I *do* get.

Back