• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OK I got a new Temperature question

langer1

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 87 4.0l AW4.
Normal temp on the gage is 190. the weather lately been real cold (0).
The temp runs hotter (220) heat is great, every things fine, it just runs hotter in cold weather than warm weather.

I would like to know why?

Maybe the bi metal in the clutch isn't getting warm enough to fully engage the fan clutch, it may be slipping more, because it isn't getting hot enough? At only idle and low speed or at high speed also?
I just put a Crown clutch in my 88, that sucker is almost direct. The fan makes a lot of noise, but I doubt it slips much. I really don't know if it was one of those good accidents, that happen every once in awhile or if they are all like that.
I hope your coolant is mixed strong enough for that low of a temperature. I've had mine turn to slush before (a couple of times) when it got really cold here, with a fifty fifty mix.

Last edited:
what are the conditions when it is getting hot? Are you driving at highway speed, around town with alot of stop and go, sitting at idle, etc?

It's not over heating, and It drops some when driving, it must be the fan clutch.
I kinda like more heat in colder weather.
Anti-Freeze test out at -30
The fan clutch is a new Hyden unit.

Back