• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help buying a cherokee

platinum5.9

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking at purchasing a cherokee in the next few months and need a little help. I know exactly what I am looking for but needs some opinions on what its worth, and to make sure I don't pay too much. 1999 Cherokee Classic black in color. 100k-130k miles is fine. I want the hpd30 front axle and the 8.25 rear. The t-case does not really matter either the 242 or 231 will work. Both have there good points. So my question is what should I expect to pay for such a rig? Any help would be great. Thanks in advance!

I have been looking at the sme vehicles for the past 6 months. You can find them from $3500 on up. The average I have seen is about $5500. There are alot of higher and lower prices out there, but you usually get what you pay for.

I dont know where you are living , but the XJ's you described are going from $1500 in well used shape and $4500 in great shape here at auction in the northeast .... just a heads up ...

thats great if your a dealer and can buy from an auction....

I just bought a 99 sport, 103k, 231-Tcase.for $4,000. The seller went strictly by the book maintenance wise & had the dealer do it all, and I mean all- like servicing the axles, tranny and t-case (he even kept the receipts) and I even like the color. I found it playing around on aol autos and drove into PA to get it. Like they say you get what you pay for.

not all auctions are dealer auctions ... there a many public auto auctions in MD,PA,VA area , probably some near you to .... I just know that my 99 sport was sold for 4500 in pa two years back and it was 1 owner in perfect shape with 59 k miles .... for that kind of deal its worth couple hundred mile trek .... search for public auctions and lots of them can either email a list of whats going to be on the block or fax it to you ... just tryin to be helpful ...

I dont have a list .. I said find an auction house in your area and they can get you a list of some of the vehicles the will have in upcoming sales .. not all but some .. xj's are everywhere so seek and ye shall find but im sure there are some un molested gems out there...

They are a dime a dozen in Kentucky. I just bought a 89 and a 97 as a set for a grand. Drove them both home. (about 100 miles) Cleaned them up and my wife drives one (the 97 ) and the other is going to be used around the farm.

If you are not comfortable buying a used car on your own, check to see whether a credit union in your town has a car buying service. At least two CUs offer the service in my town. Their buyer goes to the dealer-only car auctions. He gets a list of the vehicles every week that will be up for auction. You tell him what year(s), how many miles are acceptable, 4WD or 2WD, etc. He will advise you when a target XJ will be auctioned, and should run the research on it and inspect it at the action site. The fee should not be more than $500 above the wholesale auction price...negotiate it down if they try to charge more. The other suggestion is to find a good Jeep mechanic in your town and have him thoroughly check out any XJ you find. Run the CarFax on the VIN number to see it's accident and ownership history.

Back