• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ steering conversion

rockwerks

NAXJA Forum User
Ive been searching for 2 days with lots of conflicting reports on what can and cannot be used.

details:

want to stay with 5 x 4.5 no hub conversions, all the decent write ups I have found use warn hub conversions

any help is appreciated.

I just did this monday. You need from jks the hub spacer, the tie rod and drag link. the stock wj ti rod and drag are too long. 2000+ XJ/TJ hub/ unitbearing, early 1999- hubs sit out further. 1999+ WJ rotors re-driled to a 5x4.5 pattern. The rest is in the write ups. Good luck. My setup did great. Also be ready to change ball joints, one of my lower ball joints fell apart. I had them replaced last year.

WJ knuckles.
.250" JKS flange spacer welded on

2000+ XJ/TJ unit bearings

WJ caliper brackets
WJ calipers
WJ rotors, drilled 5x4.5

Tie rod (JKS sells one pre-setup)
Draglink (jks sells one pre-setup)

You will have to fabricate a new trackbar mount at the axle to get the angles right.

Read this:

www.shadowco.org/~cal/WJ.pdf

It is an archive of the instructions from JKS's website, it will give you a fair idea of what you need to do.

I flipped my tie rod over the arms using Go-Fer-It style inserts (drill and weld to install), and run Chevy high misalignment ends on my draglink (not a jks draglink) over the knuckle. It gave me excellent steering angles and lots of beef. I'll answer any questions you have on the conversion, just PM me.

steering.jpg

I had that fear too. I don't weld, so I took the parts out to a friend to weld them up. As far as screwing it up, if you buy the right parts and put them in the right places, its pretty easy .. but dont let people here tell you this part or that part is better, stick to the list above and its pretty simple. There are a few tiny details I didnt include, as I wasn't writing a walkthru, but if someone is starting this they can PM me (or any number of other people here who have done this) for help.

Back