• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Defrost / A/C not kicking or cycling

JW 4x4

NAXJA Forum User
Vehicle in question is a 2000 XJ Sport, 4.0L, 4x4. Just recently it started acting a little strange in the HVAC department. We have had some strangely cold temperatures lately, and I've noticed that when I turn on the defroster, the engine does not cycle the A/C? like it usually does. It used to "surge" when stopped in gear at stoplights when the defrost would cycle. I noticed today that in any of the defrost positions, OR a/c positions, that the compressor is not kicking on or cycling. Where would I start to begin to troubleshoot this? I've searched, and I don't believe it to be a vacuum issue, but I could be mistaken. Thanks

If I remember right, the compressor wont kick in when temperatures are below 35*.. But I could be wrong, mine does the same thing... When it warms up a little bit under the hood, it will kick in... I don't think you have any problems, and i'm pretty sure that's how Jeep built them.

Once it gets below a certain temperature, the compressor will not kick on. When you flip it on, it might kick on for about 1 or 2 seconds, but it will stay off for the most part. This is how it's designed, to help protect the compressor.

I've noticed that anything in the lower 30's or below and my defroster hardly cycles, or doesn't cycle at all.

Once it gets wamer (say upper 30's or higher) try it and see if it works. If it's still not kicking on, I would look into it being low on freon (in which case the low pressure cut off switch would be keeping it from coming on)

The compressor on my 99 certainly kicks in even when it's cold. In fact, in order to make it defrost worth a damn in cold weather I have unplugged it. I've never liked refrigerated defrost, even in warmer weather, because although it removes fog fast it also fogs up again faster.

Anyway, it might be time to put a gauge on it and see if the refrigerant level has gone low.

Back