• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Put my engine in.. now wont start

centralmax

NAXJA Forum User
1992 xj 4.0... took out the engine to fix it. put it back in and now the starter wont turn. ITs like its not getting told to turn the engine over. Are there supposed to be two little wires to the small terminal on the starter solenoid? Maybe the crankshaft position sensor is doing this? Any ideas would be great.. thanks guys

starter doesnt spin. Does the starter relay get a shot of power to turn the starter on, or does it just ground the relay to turn on the starter?

centralmax said:
starter doesnt spin. Does the starter relay get a shot of power to turn the starter on, or does it just ground the relay to turn on the starter?
Hows that there battery?

BGXJ said:
that sounds like a smart remark but i was gonna suggest the same thing
It really wasn't intended to be smartass at all. I just know that things like that can sometimes be overlooked, hell I've done it before.

well i have a wall charger with instant start feature so its got the juice. I got it to turn over.. had to bang around on the shifter for some reason. Guess the NSS is out of adjustment (Dont know why).
New problem- how to figure out which plug on the cap is the starting point for my firing sequence. Firing order is known, just not where to start from on the cap. any ideas on that?

centralmax said:

There is one large gauge wire for direct power from the battery to turn the starter and there is a small wire that is also (+) that energizes with the ignition switch when turned to the start position. If both wires are hooked up check the fusing system for the ignition. A FSM will have the diagram for your particular system. Alternatively you can jump a + wire from the small wire hook up and to the battery. Make sure it's safe to turn the motor over before doing it because it will energize the starter if it has battery power.

Not to be a smart ass, make sure the battery has a charge before chasing all these other problems.

Bones :skull1:

Morning one of the first run of what became NAXJA:

best advise I can offer is to get a haynes or chiltons, they are horribly inadequate for major things, but for firing order, cap placement and general engine hook up I would get it.
Jeremy

Back