• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

drag link

downhillracer

NAXJA Forum User
I know this is supposed to be in oem tech but i figured it would get a quicker response here. I have a five inch lift with no steering mods on an 89 with four wheel drive if it helps so here's the question.I was wondering how hard it is to replace the draglink/ ends. I noticed today that my jeep is pulling hard to the right. When I got home the draglink end that connects to the pass side knuckle was smoking. It probably isnt greased but im sure that the link is shot because the grease boot is all but falling of. I was just wondering if you need any special tools like a press or fork to get the links on and off. thanks.

The drag link was smoking??? Sounds like maybe a brake is sticking on and heating it up??

its not... and even if it was I dont see how the drag link would smoke because a tire wasn't turning at the same speed. The smoke was coming from the grease boot on the drag link.

I don't see any way possible a worn draglink could generate enough heat to create smoke. I would say the whole spindle assembly got hot due to either a bad bearing or sticking brakes. If your brakes were sticking, it would cause the vehicle to pull to that side, and heat the rotor, which could maybe heat the rod end on the draglink:dunno: .

Last edited:
You sure its your draglink smoking?? maybe send us a pick of the "smoking link"

Back