• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift Seems Simple, but what's hiding

AlabamaDan

NAXJA Forum User
Lifing my XJ seems simple enough. I can buy some junkyard springs from a Grand Cherokee with a V8 and add a leaf from an S10 or something like that. That doesn't seem too terrible, but I start reading about other stuff like having to drop the transfer case or get longer shocks, etc....

I'd like to raise my XJ and put some 33s on it, but I don't really want to get into a bunch of other stuff like that. I'm not that hardcore yet. If I just wanted a couple of inches does all that stuff start to happen?

Thanks for the education guys.

Just a recommendation, start with the front first, and obtain the lift you want in the front FIRST. It's easier to level things out in the back, take things apart, etc......especially since you don't need to align the rearend every time you disconnect the leafs from the axle, etc. It's just easier to do the front first, get what you want up front, and then do some trial-and-error on the rearend until you obtain the lift you want back there to match the front or be at a slight rake, etc......good luck!

anything over 3" get's involved, front end components really need some work, trac bar, steering LCA's and such.
Anything under 3" is usually fine for stock stuff, with the exception of shocks. I'd do new shocks at 3".
You can fit 33's on 3" with some bumpstops and a good bit of fender cutting.
What are your plans for the XJ? If it's just mild trails and street time I'd look at a budget boost or 3" kit and some 31's.

I'm running a bastard pack on the rear and ACOS on the front for about 2 3/4" of lift on a '92 XJ. I did not lower my transfer case or do a SYE and I have no vibes. I am running the stock track bar and my axle is off center by about an inch. I am also still running stock shocks, which work fine on the highway, but severely limit flex. I am running 31s on stock wheels and scrub on the lower control arms when at full steering lock. After trimming fenders front and rear, I could fit 32s, assuming I went with new wheels, but no way could I fit 33s.

sure you could, I fit 34's on 3". It depends on how much sheetmetal you're willing to sacrifice.

87manche said:
What are your plans for the XJ? If it's just mild trails and street time I'd look at a budget boost or 3" kit and some 31's.

It will get some street time, right now it's my dd as I've pulled my sedan (94 Q45) into the garage for lots of TLC. For the XJ I do plan on it being my off-road hunting rig. Its off road will probably be logging roads, hunting roads, and just random woods. I doubt I'll ever do any rock climbing.

I've read around here I can probably get 30s on it stock. If 3 inches is only going to get me 31s....maybe I should just go with 30s.

I do like the idea of a little lift because one place I go I know has some water, but maybe it's not worth it.

I'd say leave it stock, put some 30x9.5 mud tires on it and go.
Any tire wider than 9.5 will rub on the LCA's with the stock rims.
I ran 31x10.5's on the stock rim and it wasn't horrible, and is easily fixed by putting a washer under the steering stops.
If you're not planning on anything hardcore I'd wait on the lift, an XJ is a very capable jeep in stock form. one might argue that instead of spending the money on a lift you could lunchbox lock your axles.
I watched an XJ on 30's with lockers go everywhere the fellas infront were going with 33's.

87manche said:
I'd say leave it stock, put some 30x9.5 mud tires on it and go.
Any tire wider than 9.5 will rub on the LCA's with the stock rims.
I ran 31x10.5's on the stock rim and it wasn't horrible, and is easily fixed by putting a washer under the steering stops.
If you're not planning on anything hardcore I'd wait on the lift, an XJ is a very capable jeep in stock form. one might argue that instead of spending the money on a lift you could lunchbox lock your axles.
I watched an XJ on 30's with lockers go everywhere the fellas infront were going with 33's.

DING DING DING we have a winna.

If all you're looking for is a capable hunting rig, go with some 30's or 31's in an AT or MT tread pattern, make sure you have front and rear tow points, throw on a pair of swaybar disconnects and call it good. If you want to lift it, look into a 2" OME lift.

Hey! If you DO plan going around 3-3.5" or even higher, everyone before is right- you'll start to have change-outs in many things. I ran 31x10.50 Wildcat MTs on a stock rim and no lift with major rubbing at about 95-100% turning potential. My tires rubbed on the LCA's, and it wasn't fun. =(. This is probably not looked to be solid, but my friend has this setup and it takes him places that I've been wary to try on my setup. FRONT: 2 1.5" baseball stops (looks like big hockey pucks with holes in the middle and wrapped in hardcore rubber) up where the spring rests against the body. He took the swaybars off. BACK: 3" leaf spring spacers. I gave him my 31s when I upgraded to 33s, and he runs them fine. He has stock everything else. If you ever ever ever go 4.5" or more, there's a GOOD chance you will want a SYE kit. If you get a SYE kit, you DON'T need a t-case drop... that way, you get back the loss of clearance from doing a t-case drop (helps when you go over logs). Some rigs I know are running around 5"-5.5" of lift and they don't need a SYE kit. It really depends on how comfortable you are with your setup. Hope this helps!

for cheep/easy install look at a "lunchbox" style locker.
You pull the carrier and replace the spider gears.
Names to search for:
Aussie
EZ-Locker
No-Slip

Speed_racer said:
Can be done for $200 and a couple hours.

Sounds Good!

Speed_racer said:
if oyure doing this, i'd still recommend a BB,

I'm sorry, but what's BB?

Speed_racer said:
some aggressive meats

Tires? Yes.

Speed_racer said:
a rear locker

OK.

Speed_racer said:
some sway bar discos

I'll look into that. I'm definately taking the rear sway off. Who needs it anyway right?

Speed_racer said:
tow points

Yep. Already got a hitch in the back, that shoudl cover the rear. I just need some for the front.

Speed_racer said:
and another rig to always be there.

As best I can - yes. I'll always be where I can get someone to come get me at the very least.

Back