• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4" lift with stock trackbar and steering?

ert01

NAXJA Forum User
My brother is looking to lift his XJ, but wants to keep it low cost since it's just an occasional trail rig and convenient store runner...

So my question is, can I give him approx. 4" lift (bastard packs/shackles in the rear, ZJ coils and spacers in the front) and keep the stock trackbar (redrilling the mount of course) and keep the stock pitman arm? Or should I just lift him less? What about a trackbar relocation bracket? Would that help? Or would the angles be too wrong?

Just curious... Still trying to price it all out for him so if need be I'll add the trackbar into the price and make him save for a few more days.

I'd go less.

Whats your definition of CHEAP?

4" CHEAp with FACTORY Ca's will likely cause MANY problems.

Stay 3" or so, that way you can do it CHEAP.

BP the rear... f150 coils or the like + extra isolator = cheapest 3" lift...

as I read on here earlier " that extra inch gets costly"

But to answer your direct question... CAN it be done? SURE!
WILL it be safe? Probably not!

Will you have DW?! possibly!

Another thing to think about is that a track bar relocation bracket is only like $25 from Rough Country. And depending on who you talk to, you do not need to swap out the pitman arm if you stay under 4-4.5" of lift. I have seen that discussed on here as well as I have read it in JP Magazines publication of suspensions. Just food for thought.

A buddy of mine runs 4" lift with stock trackbar and steering and has no problems. His front axle is a bit off center, but not too bad.

xjh3 said:
A buddy of mine runs 4" lift with stock trackbar and steering and has no problems. His front axle is a bit off center, but not too bad.

A bit? My axle was 2 inches to the left with 3 inches of lift, and I could turn too far one way (enough to make the u joints bind) and I couldn't turn worth a s**t the other way.A drop pitman did make a bit of a difference for my steering problems and so did adding washers to the steering stops. I'd recommend a trac bar or a trac bar upper mount relocator.

To get 4" using ZJ coils and spacers, you will need a lot of spacers. From my experience, you will be pressed to get much more than an inch from the coils. Also, at 2 3/4" lift, my track bar is maxed out and my axle is off-center by a good inch or so. I would be surprised if you could get by at 4" without doing something...

Thanks for the advice... I'll probably just try to convince him to stay lower. My Jeep is at 4.5" and he wants it like mine, but I spent a lot more then he is willling to spend so I was hoping to maybe cut some corners for him, but I won't be heartbroken telling he has to stay smaller then me :)

The trackbar relocation mount... if I use that, will the angles be all messed up and cause deathwobble? Do I need that at 3"?

About the ZJ coils, well I was under the impression they'd give a bit over an inch and then a 2" spacer would get close...

I'm thinking he should stay at 3...

Thanks guys.

I was running 4 inches on stock control arms for a while. I just upgraded to RK 3-link LA's. I still use a somewhat stock trac bar and stock steering. I got the HD RE track bar bracket and used a TJ track bar that I lenghtened (they use bushings on both ends to fit the bracket). I had to clearance/ reinforce the bracket on the axle for the track bar so it wouldnt limit my travel. My current setup works very well, and will max out my 4.5 inch lift OME shocks. Even with the stock control arms, I had no problems, just had to clearance the lower control arm mounts to allow the axle to fully articulate. The only thing I didnt like about the setup on stock arms was the ride, and it really wasnt that bad, but man is it nice now with those long arms... I say, GO FOR IT! Oh, one more thing, I did need a SYE after 3 inches though, that will add some money to the total cost for sure. I run a dakota basterd pack in the rear and have exactly 4 inches (entire pack with eyes cut off in addition to my main stock main leaf). I use YJ brake lines up front and a relocated rear line with stock soft line. I think I have under $1000 into my current lift. That is complete, from brakelines to SYE (bought from buddy and used front shaft), long arms to springs. I am very happy with the end result. Heres a pic:
IMGP2818.jpg

-Jerry

Last edited:
I have 3.5" lift upfront with stock tracbar. Although it's not ideal, it works. The axle is off center, but who cares?? Not me! The trac bar does wear out quickly this way, but I've gotten free replacements....so I've still yet to get a real tracbar. I wheel pretty hard with it and it flexes quite nicely, although I'm sure gettting a real tracbar would increase the flexage.

I would recommend not getting a relocation bracket unless you have an onboard welder. They always break at the worst time. Just run the stock tracbar upfront and save money until you can get a real one.

If you're lift is 3-4 then you'll be alright with the stock tracbar. I would, however, get a heavier duty tie rod, or atleast carry a spare, because the stock tie rod is very weak.

Also, don't do drop pitman arm unless you're relocating the tracbar mounts to coincide with it. You'll be fine with stock pitman arm at 3-4". From the sounds of your lift (v8 ZJ coils and 2" spacers), you should be right about at 3" anyways.

Back