• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Metal or Plastic gas tank? Whats available?

1bolt

NAXJA Forum User
My pump is going south (at least it apears to be) so I'm going to be dropping a metal tank with way over 200k miles on it, which certainly has some corrosion.

What kind of non-corroding platic tank swaps are out there? I think I recall people swapping in YJ plastic tanks. I want to go bigger 25 gallons sounds nice...

If I stick with Metal, what has everyone done as far as cleaning and de-rusting the inside of their stock tanks?

Dont the 97+ XJs have plastic tanks? I'll bet if they do, it would be a bolt in. You may even get a GC tank to fit. It may be bigger also.

Ray H said:
Dont the 97+ XJs have plastic tanks?

Correct, 97+ have plastic tanks. However (sadly) it's not a straight retro fit into OBD-I equipped XJ's.

As I recall, OBD-I use two fuel lines, whereas one is a return. I believe the OBD-II better regulate fuel pressure doing away with this need. Additionally, the fuel rail would need to be changed and there was some wiring issue with fuel pump.

I would bet, after market would have options, but suspect fitment may be minor issue.

xj4fun said:
Correct, 97+ have plastic tanks. However (sadly) it's not a straight retro fit into OBD-I equipped XJ's.

I thought about that after I posted, that at minimum the fuel pump setup would need to be changed.

Been in there and done that . . .

1bolt said:
My pump is going south (at least it apears to be) so I'm going to be dropping a metal tank with way over 200k miles on it, which certainly has some corrosion.
NAPA had a decent price on a "OEM" pump insert if you search, if you need the complete assy, ouch.

I think the pump mounting hole is the same on the later (pre 1997) metal tanks, so you may be able to use a OBD-II tank with an earlier pump.

1bolt said:
I want to go bigger 25 gallons sounds nice...
Go-Jeep website; "Getting more in your tank" http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoFuelTank.htm

I did mine using 1/2 inch copper water tubing I had around the house. A 90 degree elbow and a short straight piece soldered together and JB Welded to the tanks breather. The hardest part was finding someone (my wife) with skinny arms glue it in the tank. Now I have a 20 gallon tank with 3+ gal. "reserve".

Wow! My 100th post . . .

PhotographerMike said:
Been in there and done that . . .

Great post Mike I hadn't seen that mod on go-jeep (been their a bunch) that is a freakin awsome mod.

Now I just need to figure out a way to clean out the tank on my parts Cherokee which has a pump that was working fine when I got it.

Anyone know if 91 2 door Cherokee's (my parts heep) have the same size gas tank? I never filled it up so I don't know... guess I could just get under their and look :) But it's all cold and snowy <shiver>:shiver:

current plan is to drop the tank in my parts heep and clean it out then do that breather tube mod.

The best mods are always those ridiculously cheap ones that add a ton of usefullness.

1bolt said:
Anyone know if 91 2 door Cherokee's (my parts heep) have the same size gas tank? I never filled it up so I don't know... guess I could just get under their and look :) But it's all cold and snowy <shiver>:shiver:

Since I'm in So. Cal. I'll save you some trouble.

All the tanks are the same size OUTSIDE. Some had a "13 gallon" tank which was just a 20 gal. tank with a longer down turned breather tube inside.

2 door and 4 door Cherokees are all the same when you turn them over . . .

But, my '96 tank has baffels and a bracket to hold the later fuel pump assembly from moving. I was going to use the one out of my '89 parts car but decieded to just pound out the dents in the '96 tank to keep the better support for the pump.

Since you are fairly new to NAXJA you might consider joining, just this tip may be worth the $$ to you. I joined after I added up how much I had saved from the info available "free" and it was several hunderd dollars. And as long as you search first most of the people here are decent enough.

Autozone doesn't seem to have info for any vehicle after the 98 model year (as far as I could tell) on their website, so maybe that is why its partial info.

I just had the 30 gal areo tank installed. I't is metal and bolts on instead of straps. My old tank only held 13.5 gals. Now with a full tank the rear is .25" lower. I was already a .5" lower so now need to lift .75" in rear. But filling up less often is going to be great. Although they sent the wrong sending unit, so at full the light comes on telling you your about to run out of gas. Ha Ha!

purplexj said:
I just had the 30 gal areo tank installed. I't is metal and bolts on instead of straps. My old tank only held 13.5 gals. Now with a full tank the rear is .25" lower. I was already a .5" lower so now need to lift .75" in rear. But filling up less often is going to be great. Although they sent the wrong sending unit, so at full the light comes on telling you your about to run out of gas. Ha Ha!

Hell this would be a blessing for me. My stupid RE 3.5" rear lift packs are a lot closer to 5" because they supposedly set the rate and arch to compensate for bumpers, and X amount of Cargo. Frankly I think they just did a poor job of matching the rear to the front.

Anyway some extra gallons wont hurt.

Back