• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Friday the 9th Mountain Run.. Anyone?

SpazMoid

NAXJA Forum User
So i'm getting antsy, and really need to go test out my rig, after this extra lift i've put on. I'm thinking of going up to a place called Lake Albert. I'm going to do this in the evening on friday and make it a night run. I'm not sure if snow will be a factor, i'm guessing if it is, it's not going to be much, becuase the lake is at 1200 ft.

I'd rather not go by myself, But I have been by myself once. I'd be the leader on this run, as i'm sure no one else could find it. It's off the exit 38, then up the road to FS 9020. From there it's all the way to the top. There are a couple hairy sections, mainly 45 degree angles of rock crawling, only one of those. At the top you will experiance excellent night views of I-90, then it's off to the other side of the mountian for an intense ride.

Please I warn you. DO NOT come on this with me if you value your paint job. I will not be responsible for scratches or lost mirrors. Last time I went on this, I lost my mirrors and my front window trim, due to the heavy overgrowth. Also having extra lights is not a need but definatly a plus, as it's extremly dark up there.

The end is a very small picturesc sp? lake, but that is if we can make it. If snow is not a factor, last time I went i had to pull 2 boulders out of the road with my jeep blocking the way at a rockslide point. There is a small campground site at the lake.

I'm going no matter if no one goes or not. I know this is not always the brightest decision, but I have a CB and there is Cell reception, so I can always call if theres an issue, but it would be fun to have some of you come along. As far as mud, there really isn't to much of it. This is again mostly a straight up, probably about 7 miles in.

I was thinking of leaving around 5pm, if there is interest, i'd say lets meet in the northbend area at the Chevron on the corner around 6pm. I do not have a winch, but not sure it will be needed. Last time I was up there was in June, and there wasn't the slightest bit of snow, but when driving on I-90 it doesn't look like there is snow right now.

If you guys want to camp that is fine, but I need to be up early and home no later than 9:30 - 10:00am for a prior engagement. Beer is cool, but only at the campsite, as you will need ever ounce of soberness to not drive off the intense cliffs that this trail has.

Post up if your itnerested....

Oh and just a side note. I went on this run with a 3" lift, and had no problem.. I saw a Jeep Grand Cherokee Stock at the top, so obviously i think a stock cherokee could make it....

I'm in this sounds like fun

I know for a fact that there are fish, as last time I was up there was in june at 1am, and i could hear them jumping. I'm assuming fly fishing would work best, but there isn't much of a clearing around the lake...

Is leaving North Bend at 6pm to early for you guys? if so I can push it back to about 7:30-8pm if need be to allow for more to show up. From the gas station it's about a 10 min drive up I-90, then from the base of the road its about an hours slow drive to the lake, if there are no problems.

The guy who came in for the oil change that got me interested in this group, sent me an email this evening, I sent him one back telling him about this run i'm putting together, and i'm waiting for his reply so that Might be another.

So far looks like

Me
WaXJ_Skier
Canman

Possibly:

Lance (guy who emailed me)
IXNAYXJ

5 would be a cool #, i'd rather not go with over 7 as once we reach the lake the turning around will be a bitch, unless you all have nice lifts, and can bushwack a bit... lol I wish i had pictures from the last time i went up

Sounds like this could be fun! So this would be a 4-5 hour run then? The XJ's paint is already scratched, so no worries there. I'd like to keep my mirrors tho... LOL

Sounds cool. But I can only sign up for a Maybe at this point.

And thanks for e-mailing me back to check this thread. ;)

lol cool lance, would be fun to have you there.

Ya i'm not really getting the consinsis that people would want to camp, and frankly i'd rather not camp till it's warmer weather up there.

If we leave around 7pm, we should be back down to North Bend around 10-11pm, really depending on whether you guys want to make a fire, and sit near the lake a bit.

I'm 90% in.

However, after some checking last night, I believe that snow wili be an issue. You said the lake isn't higher than 1200 feet, but the offramp is higher than that, and I assume we'll be gaining some altitude?

That being said, BRING LOTS OF GEAR. Food, water, sleeping bags, lots of warm clothes, boots etc. I know the plan isn't to get stuck overnight, but it never is.

-----Matt-----

Looks like I'll be spending the day on friday adding recovery points to my jeep.

Ok, well friday i'm spending my day going down to Longview to get 35" tires put on my jeep.

Ive got the recovery points, but no winch. I looked at the topographical mape, and i swear it said 1200ft, but actually that really does sound a bit low, it's probably more like 18-1900ft.

Your right i think snow might be a small issue, but with the ammount of overgrown brush out there, the actuall trail might not be too covered. If snow is above 3" we might get into some pretty hairy situations on some of the roads with the cliffs, so make sure you have some ample lighting....

Does meeting at North Bend Chevron at 7PM work for everyone, or is that too late? Just want to make sure people have enough time after work to get there

If it's as unknown and remote as you say Spaz, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to bring a chainsaw, a hand saw, a sawzall, and brush cutter; any or all of these things seem like they could come in handy with all the wind we've gotten this winter. Might be worth checking out before a whole crowd makes their way up there. Just an idea.

Spaz said:
Ok, well friday i'm spending my day going down to Longview to get 35" tires put on my jeep.

What are you doing with your 31's ?

CanMan said:
Spaz, do you have the longitude and latitude on the place? Id like to try to find in on Google Earth.
I just started looking on the forest sevice website...don't bother there, it sucks.

CanMan said:
Spaz, do you have the longitude and latitude on the place? Id like to try to find in on Google Earth.

DeLorme Topo USA 5.0 says:

Latitude: N47° 17.037'
Longitude: W121° 30.198'

3,117ft elevation :rolleyes:

LakeAlbert-1.jpg

Spaz said:
...but actually that really does sound a bit low, it's probably more like 18-1900ft.
More like 3500 ft. Snow WILL be an issue, but not an insurmountable one. I'm still planning on being there.

spaz said:
Does meeting at North Bend Chevron at 7PM work for everyone, or is that too late? Just want to make sure people have enough time after work to get there
I'd say 1800 is as late as we should go. I really don't wan't to be up there all night, and so far it sounds like there will only be three of us.

But, it's your run. You decide.

-----Matt------

Back