• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Axle "Hop/ Wrap"

BADaXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Well, we just got some fresh powder up here and i couldn't help but go out and play in it. i found a nice field with tons of snow and unfortunatly at this point, i have my stock 225's on (got pulled over w/ 33's:nono: ) well i was messing around in 4 high and when i would give it a good enough amount of throttle to make the wheels spin, sometimes the front end would start some nasty "bucking" actions. it does the same in 4 low as well. it's a lot like axle wrap, but its quick and it doesnt go away unless i let off. its like a front to back death wobble and if i spin them fast enough it can get pretty violent and it sounds nacty enough to make me cringe. i can't figure out if it's the acutal axle itself rotating or if it's slop in the drivetrain :confused: it's a quick "snappy" type motion and it happened a few times last year too, when i had 3" lift, stock lca's and 31's. its pretty consistent, doesn't take a whole lot to get it started. almost seems as though its slop in the ring and pinion but i really don't know, its not the type of thing that i try to duplicate so i can diagnose it:brickwall anybody know what i'm talking about here? Where should i start? i got new u-joints, unit hubs, lca's-both tight, driveshaft is alright.
any ideas what the soruce might be?

I have experienced what I think you are describing when turning sharply offroad and when struggling to move, like going around something and spinning the tires pretty good. I never though much of it, but if yours is doing it while going straight, I would first look at U-joints.

yeah, i think most of the time, it's initiated while i'm turning but if i straighten out the wheel, it continues until i let off the gas.

Back