• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clock and radio not working

markg

NAXJA Forum User
they both recently died at the same time.91 cherokee.i did a search and found this was common but im still not exactly sure where to check next.the clock fuse under the dash is good.when i take a volt meter to the terminals for the fuse i get nothing on either side with the key on or off.a while back my domelite would stay on so i just pulled the bulb.(im not sure if it could be related)
im tempted now to just run a new fused hotwire to the radio but really would like to fix the clock also.
any ideas?
thanks
cherokee

If your clock & radio stopped working at the same time, it's a fuse. Look to the upper left of your fuse box for the "radio" fuse. That fuse runs your radio AND the light for your clock. The clock is on it's own fuse cause it's always on, even when you sleep. You just can't see the clock cause the light (same fuse as the radio) is off.

Give it a shot and let me know. Sometimes you have to look real close at the fuse to see a break.

thanks for the quick reply.i thought the clock fuse worked for both.ill check the radio fuse and let cha know soon as it gets above zero around here.
again thanks for the info.

maybe the clock terminals are live but not enough to light the testlite.

I'm not sure about all years, but on many the clock, the radio memory and the interior lights are on the same fuse. Check that you're getting the right fuse, and if there's no power to either side of it you may have to look further upstream for the problem. Perhaps a fusible link.

Not sure if 1991 and 1989 are the same, but according to the FSM for 1989, the clock and radio are also connected to the 10 amp ETR fuse (beside the Trans fuse towards the bottom of the box) See if that one is blown.

Later,
Joe

thanks guys.

ill check soon as it gets above zero.all of these fuses are under the dash correct?none of the ones under the hood?

thanks again

it might not just be a fuse, i accidently crossed some wires wiring my over head console and it killed my radio and clock too but the fuse is fine. i ran a power wire to my radio harness an tadaa the radio and the clock were workin again. my guess is a shorted something to cause a bad connection somewhere, gl and if u figure urs out.. let me know, i'd like my light to turn on when i open the door again :D

could also be the electrical portion of the ignition switch located at the base of the steering column. Pin B of that switch failed on my 92 and took out the radio, A/C and a few other seemingly unrelated things I don't recall right now. The Jeep started up and ran fine though.

lcsxj said:
could also be the electrical portion of the ignition switch located at the base of the steering column. Pin B of that switch failed on my 92 and took out the radio, A/C and a few other seemingly unrelated things I don't recall right now. The Jeep started up and ran fine though.

WOW great advice!this is on my sons rig and i wont be able to look at it till this wkend.the fuses seemed fine but ill check again.we did just recently replace the steering column with a junkyard one.if the fuses are indeed good im going to look at the ign switch.i would not have thought of that!
thanks again for all of the great info guys!
cherokee

had no power to the main power wire to the radio.i ran a wire from the fusebox to the main power on the stereo(this wire should be hot at all times)
it came on but no sound and the unit started smoking.brought it to the stereo shop and he tested it.it came on but he got no sound either(but it didnt start smoking on him)he says a speaker must be shorted out.

even if it was would it take the whole head unit out with it?i want to just buy a new unit but i had better figure out this prob ist.any ideas?

Back