• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NEWB wants an XJ with MBZ diesel

NapaBavarian

NAXJA Forum User
Thats it!

This isn't my first jeep, I have 4 SJs in the back yard, but I always wanted a small diesel powered SUV, and am about to recieve an XJ 2 door minus driveline.

I like the MBZ turbo 5 cylinder because arround here they are plentiful and have plenty of power with room to tweak, a quick search revealed that this may be charting new ground, anyone done it before? I did find a few diesel swap threads, but no mercedes diesel threads.

This is just a DD, no need for a rock crawler, just to get arround.

there was a fellow that had put a mercedes 5 cyl diesel and man trans in an MJ.
search
"merce Jeep"

While not super easy to track down their are XJ diesels out their I believe between 86 and 88 they even sold them in America, other years will be Canadian XJ's.

How much displacement does the MB 5 banger have? How about HP and Torque? The XJ diesels I believe are very comparable, power wise.

As for how worth wild a swap is... well I have to say I'd love a 30 MPG Cherokee with an engine made to withstand diesel compression in such a light SUV that engine could easilly see 300,000 or 400,000 miles before needing a rebuild.

Anyway if you're the rare serious poster (lets face it most posts like this are just guys blue skying an idea they've got, I know I've done the same thing), and you undertake the swap please post pics and a project thread. I have a 2 door that donated it's engine and trans to my YJ for a Stroker and I can't think of anything to do with it.

The main reason that I want to do this is that I just happen to like diesels and can't find a suitable diesel small SUV, the few that are out there are frekin gold, and already sold if the price is reasonable. I have nothing against the 4.0, in fact my uncle has a never cracked 4.0 pushing 350,000 miles on their one owner 1987 cherokee, I could probably find an engine donor for $500, but what would be the fun in having what every one else has :scottm: I don't need to go fast, just be able to keep going...and going!

The 5 cylinder turbo engine is 3.0L and arround 120hp and 170# of torque stock with arround 13# of boost, some people run twice that on the stock bottom end, I'd be happy with 200-250# of torque. As diesels go it is a high rever, but still enough low end power to get it moving. I don't have a problem with a vehicle that dosn't do 0-60 in 4 seconds, after all, I've been happy with VW Vanagons as daily drivers for years, driving a really nice car only attracts vandals and thieves :smsoap: driving a Vanagon fast confuses people :eeks1:

If I had money in my pocket I'd go out and buy the parts today, I don't expect anything overnight, but it'll come I hope, my '79 diesel had been a hope and dream for 5 year, then again it would be an impractical toy, an XJ is small enough to fill a niche and big enough to get the job done :cool: as well as being much more economical to build and having easier to find parts, I think I can build this for well under $2000.

OE engine was as I recall a 2.1L non turbo diesel in the USA, and if it ain't blown...it sucks! I have most of a turbo kit for my F350 6.9 diesel, but stock it is frustrating.

NapaBavarian said:
The main reason that I want to do this is that I just happen to like diesels and can't find a suitable diesel small SUV, the few that are out there are frekin gold, and already sold if the price is reasonable......

X2!!!!!!

Hey Napa,

The OE diesel motor was turbocharged and intercooled, rated at 85 hp and 132 lb/ft. Mine is modified slightly and puts out ( I guess ) around 99 hp and 150 lb/ft. 32 mpg city and being ( nearly ) one-of-a-kind suits me fine...

Of course, you can add another fuel tank and pump and run waste vegetable oil too. How much is gas out there in Cali? I'd love to have that setup in here in NY. I've heard those MB diesels are one of the most tolerant of "alternative" fuels. There is a loyal group of Suzuki Samurai fans out there who have been swapping the diesel VW engines in a for a while, maybe you could get some good ideas from some of their write-ups online?

nyjunkyarddog said:
Of course, you can add another fuel tank and pump and run waste vegetable oil too. How much is gas out there in Cali? I'd love to have that setup in here in NY. I've heard those MB diesels are one of the most tolerant of "alternative" fuels. There is a loyal group of Suzuki Samurai fans out there who have been swapping the diesel VW engines in a for a while, maybe you could get some good ideas from some of their write-ups online?

I actually want to swap the rear tank for a ~30 gallon from a company in oregon (for long range) and add ~8 gallon tank for warm up diesel :)

Gas is too much :looney: I'll have my motorcycle (45mpg) on the road in a couple weeks :party:

On a side note, dawgie has a plethera of gas from her rear end so I'm gonna shove a hose up there and designate my truck "alternative fuel" :idea:

I agree w/ Speed-Racer, theres no SANE reason to switch,

However, Im taking your side on this one, do it if for no other reason than it would be unique.(I sure as hell would) Take pride in your rig and if you want to do something, do it. Just always be willing to share what you learned with others.

Just remember Diesels are heavy, and are capable of massive torque for the most part, altough I dont know the specifics of the MBZ engine, I suggest plating your chassis and using ladder bars or a subframe of sorts to prevent twisting

P.S. You may also want to post this thread in Advanced Tech, they may have a better idea of what is needed

Back