• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Proportioning valve modification

Stumpalump

NAXJA Forum User
I just put an 8.8 rear in my non abs 98XJ. The rear breaks still felt weak and were hard to lock-up. I removed the ruber o-ring in the valve and now the rear locks up way to fast. What does the spring controll? Can I add a stack of washers or cut some of the spring off to to adjust pressure to the rear? Maybe I could order a spring from a (??) and install it in my valve. Any body found what works best.

I may go that route but I'm stuborn and I am going to tinker with the valve I have. Any clew to what year WJ? Or maybe a rubicon would work.

The wilwood adjustable would affect the brake pressure throughout the entire braking cycle, effectively limiting pad pressure.
A ZJ valve swap would allow for full pressure until some type of panic stop and then prevent lockup.

I read that on GoJeep's website.

RedHeep said:
The wilwood adjustable would affect the brake pressure throughout the entire braking cycle, effectively limiting pad pressure.
A ZJ valve swap would allow for full pressure until some type of panic stop and then prevent lockup.

I read that on GoJeep's website.

I would think that would differ based on where in the lines you install it. An idea would be to use the prop valve that locks the rear too easy, and then also install the wilwood in the line to the rear only, and use it to limit the pressure thru that line.

Then again I could be totally smoking crack on how braking systems work, it wouldnt be too surprising, hah

check out gojeep's web site he has a perfect write up on this, google go-jeep, best web site out there for xj's

I'm fixing to do the rear ZJ disk conversion on my 8.25, so I'd be very interested in knowing about this too. In fact, I'm waiting with baited breath (that would be breath that smells like I've been eating bait). That's funnier than bated breath.

I've done some searching and reading on this but haven't really found a definitive answer.

kloker said:
I'm fixing to do the rear ZJ disk conversion on my 8.25, so I'd be very interested in knowing about this too. In fact, I'm waiting with baited breath (that would be breath that smells like I've been eating bait). That's funnier than bated breath.

I've done some searching and reading on this but haven't really found a definitive answer.

How hard is it to go to the site and read about it?

http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoZJvalve.htm
http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoPvalve.htm

It's all post, post, post. Nobody reads what someone else suggested.

Stumpalump said:
I may go that route but I'm stuborn and I am going to tinker with the valve I have. Any clew to what year WJ? Or maybe a rubicon would work.

While I'm all for saving money where one can: BRAKES ARE NOT THE PLACE TO TINKER AND CUT COSTS! Let me say that again: BRAKES ARE NOT THE PLACE TO TINKER AND CUT COSTS!

You are toying with the lives of yourself, anyone that rides with you, and anyone that shares the road with you. I rarely get this adamant about something, but get the ZJ prop valve or equivalent and be done with it, or please keep your XJ off the road until a time when you would trust your family to ride in it down a mountain road.

Bones :skull1:

Sometimes you don't get a second chance in/with life.

Back