• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake line ?

Ben H

NAXJA Forum User
For those of you that run stainless steel brake lines:

Did you notice a difference in brake peddle firmness after switching from your rubber lines to steel lines? I am redoing my brakes and wonder if it is worth the money, or just stick with my YJ lines. It seems that stainless lines wouldnt expand at all, and rubber lines would expand.

Thanks

Don't run them Ben. You can get chevy lines or YJ lines that are long enough. Member I broke mine in JV? Just from being old!

I have one spare stainless steel line left, and when its time to use it the rubbers are getting bought.

Matt, I have YJ lines now, but length isnt the issue with limit straps. However I have always had a semi mushy pedal, nothing dangerous, but not as firm as I would like. Just wondering if the steel lines would give less than rubber lines, thus increasing pedal firmness.

Did that line just rust out and break? I cant remember what caused it, but if it broke because of age, then that will keep me from going this route.

I felt a very slight increase in firmness at the pedal when I put braided lines on my YJ. I think it depends on the age and condition of your rubber lines. If you go to braided, just be sure they are safe from kinks and crushes.

I haven't cut open a XJ or any Jeep Brake Hose, but I have cut open several Dodge/Chrysler Brake Hoses and they have a metal coil molded into the rubber that does the same as the Stainless Steel wrapped hoses.

I'm sure the SS hoses have there place in competition, but for most vehicles the OEM hose is just fine. Of course if you need extended hoses because of raising, thats another matter.

Your old hoses may be worn out or you may have another brake problem causing the spongi-ness.

Check your rear wheel cylinders, they often leak and go unnoticed. As well, rear drum brakes being out of adjustment will cause a spongy pedal, the self-adjusters are the first thing to rust out on brakes and then you have to manually adjust them.

I will second Rick's suggestion about the rear wheel cylinders. Mine leaked and caused lots of air to come into the system in a matter of days. I love my braided steel brake lines, but I really need to switch over to rear discs... I'm tired of the drums

Rick Anderson said:
I haven't cut open a XJ or any Jeep Brake Hose, but I have cut open several Dodge/Chrysler Brake Hoses and they have a metal coil molded into the rubber that does the same as the Stainless Steel wrapped hoses.
Thanks Rick, thats good info. I will cut into an xj line next time at the PnP.

I have rear discs, and an evened proportioning valve. Might be time for a bigger master. Might have to start a poll, to see how peoples brakes feel.

Back