• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fan clutch question

furrymcmonst

NAXJA Forum User
I was trying to install a missing fan shroud and in order to get it on, I removed the fan clutch.

The clutch was caked with gunk so I began cleaning it off. In the middle of the fan clutch is a round, wound, coil type of thing. There is what appears to be gunk in between the coil. I'm wondering if this is some special grease that was put there intentionally or if I should go ahead and clean it up.

Also, there was something looking like a wad of gum on the little "U" shaped post that one end of the coil sits in. Was this gum or some kind of caulk or silicone that is supposed to be there to keep the coil end from slipping off the post?

My stock unit had that as well on the coil. It shouldn't come off with a degreaser. I would just degrease the whole thing and maybe some light scrubbing but would be carefull around the white gum looking stuff.

A clean fan will help it cool much better.

I decided to replace the fan clutch since the Jeep has 200K+ miles and I don't know its history. Now, I remember why I never took an interest in working on cars with my dad when I was young. Could they have designed this area to make it more difficult to change?

After what seemed like an eternity, I finally installed the new fan clutch and the missing shroud. I'm sure an experienced person would know the tricks but it was hard enough for me to just get the nuts back over the bolts never mind trying to tighten them! Talk about cramped quarters.

Incidentally, the new fan clutch I bought from NAPA did not have the thing that looked like a wad of gum.

Back