• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RAD. refill problem

mojojojo

NAXJA Forum User
decided to drain my radiator, replaced the coolant res., and put in a 190 therm. there was no thermistat. this is a 90 limited.

anyway here is my problem...when i refill it, it gets hot in like 5 minutes and pukes out what i put in. i let it cool down add some more coolant (cause it sucks it right down). then it gets hot again and pukes all over again, and so on and so on....i only filled it to the lil post inside, never more than that. WTF ? ? ?:flamemad:

mojojojo said:
decided to drain my radiator, replaced the coolant res., and put in a 190 therm. there was no thermistat. this is a 90 limited.

anyway here is my problem...when i refill it, it gets hot in like 5 minutes and pukes out what i put in. i let it cool down add some more coolant (cause it sucks it right down). then it gets hot again and pukes all over again, and so on and so on....i only filled it to the lil post inside, never more than that. WTF ? ? ?:flamemad:
Bleed baby bleed. Crack the coolant temp sensor down in the block open and get the air out.

also, when its running there is coolant flowing into the res. bottle. doesn't that mean things are flowing right? there would not be coolant moving if there were an air bubble ? correct ?

Did you get the tstat in backwards?

termo backwards !!!?

Are you sure the thermostat is not in backwards? also check if you may have reversed the heater core lines?? Thats my best guess if everything was ok before you did the install. Jason in pa.

You might want to try removing the tstat and try refilling with water. (so not to waste antifreeze) If ok try putting tstat in bpiling water to see if it opens. Maybe you have a bad tstsat or its in backwards.

mojojojo said:
i think i got it finally. ran it for about 10-15 minutes. temp never went above 190-200ish. thats normal with a 190 tstat...right?
Yeah that should mean you're good. Did you end up bleeding it or what was the culprit?

not really sure? i just let it sit for a bit, didn't fill it more than a half inch or so. and it seems to be fine now. only problem is i think my mix is off a bit, so i will need to drain a bit and add some more coolant in the next day or so. hope it don't do it again. what a F-ing mess!

mojojojo said:
not really sure? i just let it sit for a bit, didn't fill it more than a half inch or so. and it seems to be fine now. only problem is i think my mix is off a bit, so i will need to drain a bit and add some more coolant in the next day or so. hope it don't do it again. what a F-ing mess!
Thus why most people take the lazy way out and convert to the open system. When you do this 75% of the bleeding takes place almost instantly through the radiator cap. Other than that you just have to start it for a couple and add some more and you're pretty much good. With the closed system you just have to do some bleeding via the CTS. 5-90s method of knocking out that gold pin and drilling the thermostat helps expedite the process a huge amount. Sometimes like when I replaced my bottle and thermostat with it drilled, I didn't have to bleed it at all. It's just kind of a preference thing, 5-90 likes the closed system better than the open. I tend to sway towards the open just because I don't like the pressurized coolant bottle. To each their own, but anyway atleast you got er figured out.

The flow through the bottle just means coolant is circulating, but you still might have a big air bubble. Also, keep in mind that you'll boil over pretty easily if the cap on the bottle comes loose and the system loses pressure.

Back