• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP!!!!! Cherokeee wont start.

HOPPER

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a 1999 cherokee sport 4.0l auto 4wd stock. It started and ran fine until the other night when it was -8. It cranked and cranked and finally started after about 15 mins, I thought the battery was going to die. The next day the same thing started all day no problem the at night it took about 15 min. and finally fired. WTF, So i decided to change all fluids and plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. Didnt help and now it wont start at all. It has spark, and when spraying either into air intake, nothing. WTF, This is my dd so help is seriously needed. Any ideas welcome. Im entertaing fuel pump relay but i dont want to just start replacing things that are good.
Thanks

:dunno:

is fuel pressure good? have you tried to start with the throttle wide open (clear flood)? is the check engine light coming on? what brand plugs did you use? are you using any de-icer? is your fuel supply clean?

I havnt checked fuel pressure Im assuming that the line will be pressurized. Holding it to the floor is when it trys to start but no dice. couldt it be flooded after sitting all night? This efi stuff is new to me. The check gauges light comes on after about 10 secs of cranking. oe champion plugs. I am running a de icer in the fuel. I havent checked the filter yet. (pressurized lines)
Thanks

you may want to check your throttle position switch. sometime when its cold they dont send the right signal to the computer. if it starts when its warm it could be it. un screw cap on fuel log and push in the valve to see if theres fuel pressure.

Well what do you mean by presssure? I unscrewed the cap depressed the valve and got nothing. Switched on the key depressed the valve and got a little dribble but that was it. Turned the motor over for a couple of seconds checked again and again a little dribble. Shouldnt it be spraying out?
Thanks

As Bourbon said is the fuel pressure good? Dont start replacing things. IS the fuel pressure good? If it hasnt got enough fuel pressure and VOLUME all the parts in china wont fix it. Well maybe unless one of those parts is a fuel pump. Search for test pressure and volume. A pump can develope enough pressure when demand is low but it may not develope enough volume. Pressure and volume are two different things.

Yes it should spray out if you hold the valve down with the key on. Pressure should be about 35 psi. Not sure, dont remember, Im old.

When it gets down below 0 F. I break out the old drop light and put it in the engine compartement and/or go out at around 1 AM and start it so it doesn't sit so long completely cold.
If the IAC is sticking, usually trying to start it with about 1/4 pedal will get you something.
If the CPS is cold this can also cause problems.
Often the motor turns over slow, no matter how good your battery. This can make marginal sensors, fail to generate a good signal. Sometimes a jump, will help.
Maybe it's all in my mind, but regular gas seems to start better than premium, when it's really cold.

So since there is no pressure i can pull the line at a hose and perform this test. Someone had stated volume and pressure are not the same. That looked like a volume test. Ill try it and report back.
Thanks

O.K. so there are no soft lines. Do i need a specialized tool to seperate the fuel lines? I got the retaining clip off now what? Im also guessing the pump is in the tank. I didnt see a in line filter, also in the tank?
Thanks

If it runs fine once it is started, the fuel pump is probably OK.

I would look for a week ground connection that is opening (loosing the ground connection) when it gets real cold from shrinkage.

yes both pump and filter are one unit in the tank. when you press the valve stem in it should SPRAY not dribble while you are cranking. and after cranking it should hold the pressure there until you relieve it.

Unfortunately the fuel pump is expensive and the tank must be dropped to change it. Before getting a new pump find someone with a fuel pressure tester and check to see that you have adequate pressure, which will vary with year model, but should be somewhere around 39ish.

I got the wife to turn the motor over while i depressed the valve and it sprayed quite a bit. Im still going to find a pressure gauge and check it. I was kinda hoping that was it, just to know.
Thanks

Also, due to the cold there might have been moisture in the fuel that frooze up a line, valve, injector, pump...
I've had to drain the tank(or run it to empty), blow it dry in a well ventilated area, purge the line and rail, add 5 gal of new fuel and try again.

xjnco said:
Also, due to the cold there might have been moisture in the fuel that frooze up a line, valve, injector, pump...
I've had to drain the tank(or run it to empty), blow it dry in a well ventilated area, purge the line and rail, add 5 gal of new fuel and try again.

quite possible.

Since this started during the cold snap I think you might have moisture in the tank or line somewhere freezing up the pump, fuel line, or injectors.
I've had to empty the tank (run it to empty ), drop the tank, remove the pump, and blow the tank dry with an air gun in a well ventilated area. Remove the relief/check valve and blow the fuel line & fuel rail dry. Re-install the pup and tank and valve, Install 5 gal of new gas and then see what happens. Took about 3 hours under my shade tree garage(tool box in the rear hatch area).Good luck...

I poured in an addative (heat) after the first time it acted up. Ive got good flow at the rail (psi unknown). Do you still think theres a need to drop the tank and dump out $30.00 of fuel.:( The last two days have been nice here, above freezing :sunshine: . What about the cps?
Thanks

Back