• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 help, please

AzRick

NAXJA Forum User
Here's what I got:
standard.jpg

XJ Dana 44 rear, highly abused.

It's been seeping for a while, but seems to be getting a little worse. It doesn't appear as though I'm spinning the tube (you can see where I marked it).

Any thoughts on what I should do?.............

Weld it?

Forget it, and just wheel the snot out of it?

Clean it up, sell it and buy a Prorock 60?

Thanks

Rick

Is it bent? Mine's been doing the same thing for a couple years, but everything seems to be straight. The 44 plug welds are notorious for being leaky.

I thought 60's were for Lead Footed Hillbillies????

-Jon

Oh yeah, I'm still gonna build a 60. :)

the D44 on my XJ is doing the same thing...perhaps just re-welding the plugs will work? or is it the inner seals that are leaking?

Kaczman said:
Is it bent? Mine's been doing the same thing for a couple years, but everything seems to be straight. The 44 plug welds are notorious for being leaky.

I thought 60's were for Lead Footed Hillbillies????

-Jon

Oh yeah, I'm still gonna build a 60. :)

I don't really know if it's bent......it looks straight to me :dunno: :)

Sounds like I'm not alone with this one.

Rick

Oh ya.....I never said being a lead footed hillbilly was a bad thing :)

What happened on mine was the plug weld broke on one side and the tube started kind of walking out (or rather twisting upwards). I looked at it, said it's not worth the effort to try and straighten it (push the tube to the proper position) and I got a new D44 and trussed it and moved all the guts over.

IntrepidXJ said:
no inner seals.

... not that i've been in the rear that much...but when i removed the carrier in the D44 to install a locker...there were these black rubber donut thingys on the outside of each bearing between the tubes and bearings. what are those?

jjvande said:
... not that i've been in the rear that much...but when i removed the carrier in the D44 to install a locker...there were these black rubber donut thingys on the outside of each bearing between the tubes and bearings. what are those?

Are you talking about a front D44 or a rear?

Cause the front D44 does have inner seals, where the rear D44 does not.

Rick XTRM XJ said:
Here's what I got:
XJ Dana 44 rear, highly abused.

It's been seeping for a while, but seems to be getting a little worse. It doesn't appear as though I'm spinning the tube (you can see where I marked it).

Any thoughts on what I should do?.............

Weld it?

Forget it, and just wheel the snot out of it?

Clean it up, sell it and buy a Prorock 60?

Thanks

Rick

They were just left over sealent from when the tubes were pressed in the housing.
Wayne

QUOTE=jjvande]... not that i've been in the rear that much...but when i removed the carrier in the D44 to install a locker...there were these black rubber donut thingys on the outside of each bearing between the tubes and bearings. what are those?[/QUOTE]

Rick, my front housing was leaking a little (RTV had been cleaned out) so I pulled the carrier and ran a new bead around where the tube meets the housing behind the bearings. Took care of it.

My rear has been doing the same thing and I don't thrash on it nearly as hard. I've just been too lazy to pull the carrier and seal it back up.

It wouldn't hurt to see if it's bent when you pull it appart. Almost every town has someone that can check the housing and tweak it back into shape. If it's bent very much you can tell by looking down the center of the tube when the shafts and carrier are out.

Back